2008 XR Overhead Screen Assembly for DVD & Gameboy

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2023, 12:16 PM
Default 2008 XR Overhead Screen Assembly for DVD & Gameboy

Greetings!

I have 2008 Vue with an overhead display screen and integrated Gameboy. Well, it’s 108 degrees here in Texas and the plastic mounts broke and the assembly fell. I’m trying to find a replacement; doesn’t matter if it works or not seeing we’ve never used it in the 12 years we owned it.

Now we did purchases from the GM of a former Saturn Dealership, which oddly became a Fiat dealership, so it was completely tricked out.

Picture of assembly - 2008 Saturn Vue XR

Picture of where assembly is mounted - 2008 Saturn Vue XR
I have no idea if this is an aftermarket or OEM unit.

Does anyone have any info on this assembly: part numbers, replacement parts, suggestions for how to cover the enormous hole cut out of the liner?

Thanks in advance.

Old 08-01-2023, 12:26 PM
Super Moderator

100% aftermarket non-oem hack.

I'm sure if you can find the part number for the game boy screen somewhere on the back of the game boy, you can search on the internet for whatever kit it came with which will include the mounting hardware in all likelihood. Being that it was sold 15 years ago, it's probably not made anymore so you will likely find it on eBay.

The other option is to search the internet for Nintendo forums, check to see that one has a game boy forum for that or something close to it, join the forum, post the pictures. It sounds as though all you really need is a new mounting bracket to solve your problems. Nintendo freaks have spare parts just like us Saturn freaks do, so I'm confident you will find one. If they don't have the part to sell you, there are probably 15 hacks to reattach that thing with something besides that bracket.

I would say the forums are actually your best bet. If nothing else they can tell you what you have. Do not lose hope if the first forum is not responsive or doesn't know. Just means they are a bad forum like this one. Go in the order of search rankings in Google. It's usually spot on in terms of popularity traffic etc.

You will find the part or how to fix it provided you do not give up.

Please stop back and let us know what happens.

Good luck in your search

Old 08-01-2023, 12:28 PM
Super Moderator

Rhetorical question:

Why the hell would you mount the screen in the roof? Are your kids supposed to lay on the floor to play it? It must have a huge tilt angle close to 45° for them to use it while seated. Some would argue I am a kid, but that would be totally unacceptable for me.

Probably did it because they patched into the wiring for the dome light.....

Old 08-01-2023, 12:56 PM

Lol…good question. Definitely a weird set up. Thanks for the suggestions above! I’ll check out some of the other forums. If that doesn’t yield positive results I’ll figure out a workaround.

The car definitely has some life left in it, but the interior is falling apart. :/

Originally Posted by derf
Rhetorical question:

Why the hell would you mount the screen in the roof? Are your kids supposed to lay on the floor to play it? It must have a huge tilt angle close to 45° for them to use it while seated. Some would argue I am a kid, but that would be totally unacceptable for me.

Probably did it because they patched into the wiring for the dome light.....

Old 08-01-2023, 11:01 PM
Super Moderator

The factory DVD layer was mounted to the roof in my Navigator. I had a replacement dvd player installed at the car stereo shop and they were able to cover the factory hole in the headliner to my satisfaction.

Old 08-02-2023, 08:35 PM

I've never seen a vue with a screen mounted. And as someone who also lives in Texas (I'm in the east Texas area if you ever need help with your vue, I'm a mobile mechanic and a certified Chrysler tech) the heat is rough on these things. You could probably go walk around the pull a part and find one similar dimensions out of a caravan (I actually have one from a caravan) or Yukon or something like that to fill the void. Then can probably just tap into that block of wood.