2008 XE inner CV boot wet

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2021, 03:11 PM
Default 2008 XE inner CV boot wet

Hi everyone my first post. My wife has a 2008 Vue XE with the 2.4 4. Has around 60K and looks and runs like new. I’m ok as a mechanic and have pretty much done any of the repairs by reading or watching a uTube. I recently saw a brown spot of fluid under the front passenger side wheel. The inner boot is wet and the fluid has sprayed on the suspension and a bit on the liner. I thought the boot was split but it’s definitely fluid not grease so I think it may be the seal at the trans? I also noticed the driver side is also wet but not as much. The scary thing is when I wiped off the suspension members of this fluid ( and dirt) the parts came so clean they look like new. This from a vehicle that spent its first 5 years in salty Michigan. Most of the chassis has some surface rust but definitely not where the fluid leaked. So I think they must have been leaking for a long long time yet never enough to end up on the garage floor. Trans runs fine but I’m wondering if it’s low on fluid? Found the trans filler cap and without the motor running do not see any fluid. I read somewhere that there is an overflow vent somewhere under the vehicle. So would everyone suggest adding fluid till it leaks out or is there another way? I’m intending to eventually replace the seal ( if that’s what it is) but now am really nervous about burning the tranny. Suggestions? Advice? Help?
I apologize for making this post so wordy but on a similar note I read online that in 2014 or so an improved seal was designed and depending on your VIN there are two p/no. Mine is apparently 19180998 but unfortunately all the GM parts people online say it is discontinued. Any help there please?

Old 02-02-2021, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

I would check to make sure you are following the correct process for determining the proper fluid level for your transmission. If it is a sealed unit with no dipstick, the process usually involves getting the transmission up to operating temperature then removing the level check plug which is not the same as the filler plug in most cases.

The fluid in the transmission at operating temperature should be slightly weeping out of the level check hole with the vehicle running. Please double check all of this via YouTube and possibly the owner's manual as I do not have your vehicle.

Also please do not double post. We all read all the new posts so it will not be missed. And by all of us I mean the six regulars and 10 occasional contributors who we still love anyway

No harm no foul

Old 02-02-2021, 06:38 PM

Thanks Derf
after I posted in the new members I got nervous that it wouldn’t be widely viewed because it was ostensibly a “hello I’m a new member “. Sorry about that. Thanks for the advice. I’m hoping someone else who has the same vehicle might share their experience. Especially with the part number for the seal
Bob

Old 02-03-2021, 01:44 AM
Super Moderator

Dropdead probably has the most hands-on experience with Vues of the lot. If it is simply a part redesign for the same transmission I would assume it would be back compatible because they almost certainly would not have begun manufacturing the transmission differently just to put a different seal on it. But it is GM so pretty much anything is possible. Just my half cent. GM is not worth a full 2 cents to me