2008 Vue 3.6 V6 AWD Shifting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 07:54 AM

Hey sw2cam, are you referring to John Travolta? LMAO

Old 06-01-2012, 08:05 AM
Super Moderator

Shifts smooth -- seems better than when new -- not sure what else they did while in there. I'm a happy camper and so is the wife.

From what I've read (I did a search), pretty much all of these 6 speed 6T70/75 trannys (generalizing) will develop this issue/failure as it is a weak point of the design (2007 being the first year for this tranny). I'd like to think it was repaired with redesigned parts.....

I guess it's just a question of who gets it under warranty and who gets screwed.

(good thing wifey drives 20K/yr)

Last edited by derf; 06-03-2012 at 09:31 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 03:53 AM

I love the concept of co-corporate platform automotive design. That means that a single entity design group can sit some where and design a car using left over parts from an incomplete production run some where and create a corporate platform that can be sold by 6 or 7 or more makes of cars in who knows how many countries with brand names familiar to the local economy. That means all you have to pay is one engineering group and the guy who designs the name tags, and they don't even have to be much good other than doing something cheap. Other famouse names that come to mind?
Yugo! A Yugoslavian Fiat if I remember correctly was one. Or the transmission used in the Vue that was a joint venture with GM and Fiat and Yugo. There was a good design!
Of course corporate platform is a politically correct euphemism that is also refered to with a certain amount of disgust known as Badge Engineering. This of course dates back to the early days of mass production where Budd Stamping had facilities world wide stamping out bodies for multiple companies and was quite willing to mix and match pieces and give some one a "new" model with engines supplied by Lycombing and few other engine manufacturing out fits. Thus making the significant difference between any of these things being the name on the badge that identifies them.
I know Ruby is having good luck with his Chrysler van, I am with my 2007. But my 1996 purchased with 100,000 on it already had at least one new transmission installed in it and 35,000 miles later and 4 transmissions I got rid of it. You know they will only change 1 transmission out with in the 15,000 mile warranty they give you. If between two of them they get 15,050 miles on them before the next one goes, that one is on your dime.
But today, having successfully dumbed down the buying public and getting rid of talented engineers?
I hear Chrysler is not going to make a Van shortly. If that comes to pass, then I have no reason to buy a Chrysler. I guess it will be time to start looking at something from Korea.
Pat has one of those Korean Vans, and it seems to be doing well for her. So maybe it is time to shift to some one who wants to import something I want to buy rather than looking at something made here I do not want to spend my money on.

Old 06-02-2012, 07:37 AM
Banned

Oh Yuck --

Wife's ride is an '09 Aura ... 76k on the clock. Where/how can I establish if or not she 's gonna have a problem with this issue?

Old 06-02-2012, 01:24 PM
Super Moderator

need to determine if it is a 6T70/75 tranny in there. The TSB seems to only mention SUVs with the exception of the Malibu. I'd think a call to the dealer would be in order to determine from the VIN what's down there

Old 06-02-2012, 09:45 PM
Banned

Dealership/Saturn buddies will be getting a call Mon morning -- more to follow

Old 06-03-2012, 04:00 AM

It probably would not hurt to run a web search on transmission problems. Something like this one:
https://www.google.com/search?hl=en&....0.1RXP2UDCG9E
It might be amazing what shows up.

Old 06-28-2012, 08:26 PM

Amazing things happen when people read stickies and do internet searches.

Old 06-28-2012, 09:27 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by derf
Having done some internet searching (which I was counting on sw2cam suggesting I do), I found that the 6T70 6 speed is indeed prone to failure of the 35R clutch wave plate

Here's the TSB I heisted from a post I found

Yeah the goodies you can find are amazing.

"The internet is full of information
Some of which is true"

Old 06-30-2012, 05:45 PM

....lol....

Quick Reply: 2008 Vue 3.6 V6 AWD Shifting Issues