2005 Vue front power outlet dead and fuse is good

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2020, 05:39 PM
Default 2005 Vue front power outlet dead and fuse is good

So, the title says it all. I just purchased a 2005 Vue for my wife. The front power outlet is dead. The rear power outlet is hot. I know where the fuses are for both of them in the underhood fuse box. According to the manual, the power outlet next to the climate control in the front is “Aux Power 1”. I checked the fuse, and it is not blown. I replaced the fuse anyway: no change. I measured the fuse socket with my volt meter: 12 V present. I removed the plastic trim in the interior to access the rear of the power outlet. I unplugged the wire from the back of the power outlet and checked for voltage: nothing.

So there’s 12 V at the fuse socket, the fuse is good, but there is nothing at the wire going into the power outlet. What am I missing? Any help would be appreciated.

Old 04-04-2020, 07:09 PM
Super Moderator

No voltage at the end of the wiring harness at the lighter?
What are you using as the reference (what's the other lead attached to)?

Also, what else in on that fuse (if anything)?

Old 04-04-2020, 07:53 PM

The negative lead of the DVM is attached directly to chassis ground. Checked operation by testing a different hot lead and read 12 V on the DVM. So far as I know, nothing else is on that fuse, but I don’t have the factory service manual to look at the schematic. That was kind of what I was hoping someone on the forum would do to provide additional info I could use for diagnosis.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:11 PM
Super Moderator

If the center pin is hot to a known good ground but the socket does not work you are missing the ground at the socket. Tear the dash apart and see what is disconnected.

Old 04-04-2020, 08:18 PM

You would be correct, but I guess I didn’t make myself clear: the center pin is dead. I also then unplugged the feed from the back of the power socket and checked both the hot and ground leads directly with a DVM. First I connected the black lead of the DVM directly to chassis ground and used the DVM to measure another known-good circuit, which read hot, thus confirming the operation of the DVM. Then I used the DVM to check the each of the leads going to the power outlet, and neither of them was hot. Of course, the ground isn’t supposed to be hot, but I checked both leads to cover all bases.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:30 PM
Super Moderator

I will look at my l series fsm and look at that circuit.

Old 04-04-2020, 09:42 PM
Super Moderator

On the L series each power outlet is supplied by it’s own 20 amp fuse. There is nothing else on either circuit and there appears to be only one harness connector in the middle of the run between the underhood fuse panel and the power ports. Of course the Vue could be different but not much if it is. I would check first at the underside of fuse panel for a burned wire at the fuse. The new phone chargers can draw a lot of power and may cook the connections without blowing the fuse.

Old 04-04-2020, 11:34 PM
Super Moderator

Beat me to it. Just responded the same for another s Series post.........

Old 04-07-2020, 06:29 PM
Default Problem solved

I have solved the problem. Turns out that the owner’s manual is WRONG. On page 5-97, the manual states that “Aux 1 Outlet” is the “Front Auxiliary Power Outlet,” when in fact it is the REAR power outlet. When I finally checked the fuse that is supposed to be for the rear outlet (which was working all along), I discovered that fuse was blown. Replaced that fuse, and the front outlet started working.

Thank you to those who tried to assist me with this problem.

Old 04-08-2020, 10:30 AM
Super Moderator

Good.

Quick Reply: 2005 Vue front power outlet dead and fuse is good