2003 Vue BCM Wiring Diagram

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2020, 02:49 PM
Default 2003 Vue BCM Wiring Diagram

Hello,
I’m a newbie here, and very grateful for the information and knowledge to be gained from many of you. I am hoping that someone could lead me to where I could find a wiring diagram for the Body Control Module on my 2003 Saturn Vue? The car sits around a lot because the CVT trans is shot. But I start it up periodically and keep the battery on a Battery Tender. A few weeks ago, I tried to start it and it ran for a few seconds and shut off. I also noticed that the key switch chime no longer works as well as the dome light, power locks, instrumentation back lighting, fog lamps, high beam indicator, security warning light, and maybe some other things. I’m wondering if the BCM failed, or perhaps one of the multipin connectors vibrated loose somehow. If anyone can post a wiring diagram, or let me know if all of these items that no longer work are all from one common connector, I would be very appreciative. Thanks!

Old 08-10-2020, 07:46 AM
Super Moderator

Have you checked fuses? I don't know what is on h1 but the owner manual should say or you should be able to find that on the internet. Start simple.

Is the security light on or flashing when you start it? If so this may be a passlock issue along with something else. Passlock is inside the BCM so it may all point back. Don't take anyone on here has a Vue field service manual. If you're lucky, a Haynes or Chilton manual will have a BCM pinout diagram labeled with what goes to each pin. Same thing with the ECM.

Troll the internet first.

Also try saturnfans.Com. they have a massive number of users and a lot of former Saturn techs and people with field service manuals.

Old 08-10-2020, 01:27 PM

I checked every single fuse in the passenger side kick panel and under the hood in the distribution box. I pulled all 4 connectors from the BCM while the key was on. This made no difference in turning off any of the other warning lights, or any accessories that were already working. This tells me that the BCM is completely dead, and any circuits that are controlled through it are now completely disabled.

The Security warning light never lights up now with the ignition on.

At this point, I would like to remove the BCM from the car so I can open it up and inspect the board. Anyone have advice on how to remove it? It’s glued down? Thanks

Old 08-10-2020, 04:58 PM
Super Moderator

In the future, it's not a good idea to plug and unplug modules like that with power going to them let alone the key on. Doesn't mean they can't handle the voltage spikes but nothing is indestructible. If you are opening to verify damage that is one thing. If you hope to trade it in as a core as part of getting a reconditioned one I wouldn't open it. Also if your odometer still lights up with the correct mileage take a picture of it right now because no one will program mileage into the new or replacement BCM without proof of current mileage. Put something in the picture with the date of the day you take the picture.

Old 08-10-2020, 06:02 PM

Thanks Derf,

I agree with you. Normally I wouldn’t be doing this in this manner. I work as an electrician and have a decent working knowledge of electronics. I understand the risk of making and breaking connections that may be under load with voltage applied. I watched a few YouTube videos of guys doing the same thing. It didn’t make things any better or worse for them, so I considered it harmless. This car has had it’s gremlins ever since I bought it. As it sits right now, I can’t run the engine more than a couple seconds anyway. Meanwhile, I wanted to see if any changes would occur while unplugging. Absolutely no changes whatsoever. So the BCM is completely dead as far as I can tell. I would like to get it out of the car and out of the case to get a real good look at the components and solder joints. I can’t get the case to budge. Do you know what it takes to get the damn thing out? Just brute strength? Thanks

Old 08-10-2020, 07:56 PM

Every BCM I've ever fooled with was held in with screws. Of course, there were only about 6 or 7 of them in my history and MOST were Mopars. Look closely and make sure you're not missing a couple of screws holding it down around the perimeter. I'm not at all familiar with a Vue as I've never been interested in one. I looked at the interior on one once when a home nurse was visiting with my mother. It had a nice enough interior, but I didn't find anything special enough about it to inquire about further investigation.

Old 08-10-2020, 10:12 PM
Super Moderator

The short sides of the bcm have tabs at the bottom -- 1 one each side.
Press DOWN on the unit to disengage the tabs from the mating slots and slide out (forward) I assume.

Source: This video
which is a guy with a 2003 Vue BCM already removed, repaired and about to re-install -- somewhere about the 4:15 mark he explains the how to REMOVE it...........

I didn't watch the rest. I think the tabs break easily, especially with the dry rot.

I occasionally try to be polite with responses like the plug unplug thing -- never know what others do for a living......

Note the part number and pull one from a 2.4 Vue with as many of the same options as yours. You'll have to research compatibility as i would think the ECU would be in charge of the trans not the BCM.

If you're lucky the bcm wasn't why the car is in the yard.
You'll have to do a relearn to get the replacement BCM taking with the ECU and Ignition switch.
Close enough match and it should work.

Old 08-11-2020, 02:39 PM

Thanks Derf,
I really appreciate all of your helpful advice. I will give that a try. So I guess the important thing here is to make sure the part numbers match exactly. Mine is #22709387. I have a friend that works in a junkyard. Maybe he can find a match for me and keep it under $50. I would spend the $150 to have it repaired, but this car isn’t worth much with the bad CVT. For now, I just want to be able to start it up and move it easily in my driveway, without having to push it.

Old 08-11-2020, 04:43 PM
Super Moderator

to get a refurbished BCM and have it programmed is much more than $150. indeed, just make sure it comes from a 2003 or 2004 vue 2.2 or it will not work properly in all likelihood