2003 Saturn Vue missing throughout driving

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2013, 03:01 PM
Smile 2003 Saturn Vue missing throughout driving

Ever since about 2 months ago, my saturn(of which i just bought), has an issue with the check engine light on(guy who sold it said "its a dummy code") and the engine fan starts right after you start the car and wont stop until you cut the car off. Anyway, i have changed the fuel pump and filters, oil, plugs, temperature sensor, unplugged the engine fan, it doesn't overheat and the temp gauge works as normal. There are some sort of black carbon i guess deposits coming from the tailpipe bad when first started, but no actual smoking of any kind while driving. It has a faint hesitation throughout driving with a few intervals of smooth driving then it starts up again.It is eating gas like an 8 cyl. It is a 4 cyl, 5 speed. Shifting is normal, fluids are fine. Finally took it to autozone and they checked the service engine soon light an it pulls Throttle position sensor. I was told i don't have a seperate one, it is into the throttle body. My main question i guess is, can i "clean" the throttle body and maybe clear this up? And what the heck could be causing the engine fan to stay running?
Any and all help is appreciated. By the way, i am female and not completely auto illiterate, nor do i mind doing whatever work i can to save paying some of the overpriced and overrated mechanics in the area.

Old 02-03-2013, 08:49 AM

Yep, you can buy a can of spray throttle body cleaner at your local autozone or any other parts store and clean it yourself. If the car has a lot of miles on it, you should try a couple of bottles of Techron fuel injector cleaner in your tank. You can get it at walmart for about eight bucks per bottle. Now, for the fan staying on, you say you replaced the ECTS. Where did you get it? If you didn't get a GM brand from a local dealer along with the wiring harness, that could be the problem. After market sensors don't seem to get along with Saturns. It could also be that the fan relay has failed. You could try swapping it with another relay in the fuse box that has the same number on it. Post back and let us know what else you have tried.

Old 02-03-2013, 09:29 AM
Default relay

I tried to replace the relay, bought a new one, when i did the change, no difference in the low, when i changed the high fan, it also did nothing different. If the fan is plugged in, it runs, when i cut the ac on, it boggs the motor down really bad, shut off the ac and it does normal(well as normal as running can be right now with the other issues)

Old 02-03-2013, 07:24 PM

Try unplugging the harness going to your a/c compressor and see what happens. You may have a short there.