Saturn  Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums

Saturn Forum - Saturn Enthusiasts Forums (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/)
-   Saturn Vue (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/)
-   -   2002 Saturn Vue 2.2L FWD automatic transmission interchanges? (https://www.saturnforum.com/forum/saturn-vue-24/2002-saturn-vue-2-2l-fwd-automatic-transmission-interchanges-7610/)

Dance83 03-06-2013 10:25 PM

2002 Saturn Vue 2.2L FWD automatic transmission interchanges?

Unfortunately, I made a grave mistake in taking on this vehicle. I'm pretty sure it's got a bad trans (no big surprise from what I read). Fairly confident I can't really do much about it since I am a 2nd owner and I don't think Saturn themselves would help me. So, just gonna go ahead and fix it since I really don't have many options at this point. I need to have a vehicle running to commute back and forth to work and take care of things related to my special needs son. So my question is somewhat compound:
Are there any interchanges with the transmissions in years? Can I use the same transmission out of a 2003? Or, can I use a 3.0L transmission? The reason I ask is because it seems I can't find the exact transmission I need. I did locate a few that were used with a year warranty. Figure I'll just get the trans in (have a close family friend willing to put it in for next to nothing), and then figure out what I want to do with it afterwards. BTW, please everyone do not be a dummy like me and DO YOUR HOMEWORK. If not, you will be like this :(

derf 03-07-2013 08:03 AM

IS it a CVT? IF so do NOT replace it with another CVT -- they all self destruct eventually (can't remember what years they were an option)

Dance83 03-07-2013 11:45 AM

I have the vin # , but I think I have the VTI? It seems like the 2002 4 cylinder FWD transmissions are all that way. And i realize duh, I cannot use 3.0L. So then I guess my real question is what years are compatible with 2002? I found some vague reference on the internet that the 2002-2005 are basically the same application? Just making sure I don't buy a transmission out of a different year, then find out that it doesn't fit.

Rubehayseed 03-07-2013 03:13 PM

Your local salvage yard should have a Hollanders exchange manual. They can tell you what will interchange, if anything.

Dance83 03-07-2013 04:31 PM

Thank you Rubehayseed, I think this is the only real option I have. Well thank you all for the help anyway. I just hope I can resolve this issue!

sw2cam 03-07-2013 07:02 PM

In the correct hands it can be converted to a manual trans.

Dance83 03-07-2013 08:03 PM

The only problem I have is that I am HORRIBLE at driving a manual. I've tried a few times over the years, but I just can't seem to get the flow right. I've never been able to get a car to go forward after reverse. It just stalls :( LOL that's hard to admit but true.

Dance83 03-07-2013 08:08 PM

You know, I am sitting here talking to my husband about this, and we're basically are thinking maybe a manual is better. I was reading that replacing the clutch is cheaper then the transmission. My question is this, I remember seeing something a long time ago called a paddle shifter maybe? Basically helps those that are bad like me at this. My husband hasn't driven a manual in a while, but sure that he can brush up.

Rubehayseed 03-08-2013 08:27 AM

Paddle shift refers to the controls being on the steering wheel. It sounds like the hubby just needs to work on his coordination. Driving a manual shift isn't that difficult. I have a cousin that has down syndrome and she can drive a manual shift car just fine. She's not 100% down, but about 50% or so. Kind of hard to explain.

Dance83 03-11-2013 07:01 PM

Well hopefully I find an option soon...The bad thing is I have a mechanic I've been using for 10 plus years, and he doesn't want to do a conversion. I feel that he knows it's a lot of work, and would probably feel more comfortable in just switching them out. I called this 800 # I found, and they said that I could have someone inspect the vehicle, and there's a chance I could get something for it. I really only did it because I figured what's the worst that could happen? lol...I tried calling a couple of junk yards for what options are available, and they keep referring me to a dealer. They say that the 2002 transmission is specific to the vehicle, but I'm not sure. I am just getting that heavy dreadful feeling this is not going to work out well for me at all...

RjION 03-12-2013 07:50 AM

Paddle shift = automatic transmission control. It's an elaborate system that can not be taken from one car with an automatic transmission then added to another that never had it.