03 Vue Stalled and Won't Stay Running

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2019, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Nope, not BCM related at all. Here's what I found for a Saturn with that code.
https://www.engine-codes.com/p0967_saturn.html
I've gone and made a separate post for this.

In other news, I thought I might take it around the block to see how this is holding up. Yeah, it won't even make it 100' to the end of the driveway now before either stalling for some new reason, or stalling from the BCM. However, it seems to have no security issue running in reverse, so that's amusing.

Old 06-19-2019, 10:20 PM
Super Moderator

Have you driven it all the way around the block in reverse w o stalling?

Old 06-20-2019, 04:06 PM

No, it would be... Unwise to do so. It's not a typical residential area.

Old 07-17-2019, 11:46 AM

It's looking like I'll be able to get this resolved soon. Turns out the nearby GM dealer only charges one hour labor to program the BCM, It's still $150, but it's a lot less than I was imagining. Going to get a replacement BCM ordered soon and swap it out, then have the friendly neighborhood towing company help get the dang thing to the dealer. It'll be nice to have it useful again.

Old 07-19-2019, 07:53 PM

By any odd chance is anyone able to help me discern the difference between these two AC Delco BCM part numbers? I cannot for the life of me figure what's different.

Old 07-20-2019, 02:21 AM
Super Moderator

both part # 's

PART FITS

MakeModelYear Body & Trim Engine & Transmission

SaturnVue2003 Base 2.2L L4 - Gas, 3.0L V6 - Gas

SaturnVue2002 Base 2.2L L4 - Gas, 3.0L V6 - Gas

The only difference between them is the way they are listed:

Control Module - GM (19116638)

Refurbished Module Kit - GM (19300768)

......0768 is listed as refurb kit

......6638 is not HOWEVER --6638 is not listed as "NEW" anywhere except one dude on ebay (none of the GM parts sites ---BUT GM parts sites traditionally sell brand new parts unless otherwise indicated (will ist reman if reman etc)
So my GUESS is that 6638 is brand spankin new sitting on a remote shelf in warehouse ZZ with cobwebs on the sealed box
and 0768 has had only the failed part repaired to get it in working order.4
---------------------
Remanufacturing is the rebuilding of a product to specifications of the original manufactured product using a combination of reused, repaired and new parts. It requires the repair or replacement of worn out or obsolete components and modules.

A remanufactured machine should match the same customer expectation as new machines.
---------------------
Refurbished is the distribution of products usually electronics and electricals that have been previously returned to a manufacturer or vendor for various reasons.

Refurbished products are normally tested for functionality and defects before they are sold.

It is repaired from the manufacturer and resold.

Refurbished products may be unused customer returns that are essentially "new" items, or they may be defective products that were returned under warranty, and resold by the manufacturer after repairing the defects and ensuring proper function.

I would consult a GM dealership other than the one you plan to use to confirm the above.

I would go with the one that is NOT refurbished. They are the same price. This may mean they are in fact both refurbished or just that they want them off the shelves at cost.

Since you are towing it there --DO NOT INSTALL THE REPLACEMENT IN THE CAR, Reinstall the bad one if you have pulled it
Dealerships are **** as they should be about transferring odometer readings from BCM to BCM. The only proof they usually accept is what they pull off the old BCM (if readout to dash is bogus).or what they can see on the dash (if the unit is still functional)
If you put the replacement in the vehicle and it gets energized,, I BELIEVE it makes it so they have to re-wipe the whole thing before they can program it -- = more labor $$$. Plus if you pulled the original BCM, they might want nothing to do with you.

Some GM dealerships flat out refuse to reprogram junkyard BCMs because there is no traceability and they will not get involved in anything that could be remotely associated with odometer tampering.

Some GM dealerships also refuse to program brand new BCMs unless they are purchased through that dealership ---again, an issue of traceability /chain of custody.
If you buy it from the parts counter ---------parts that travel from parts desk to you to service tech technically lose the labor warranty from the manufacturer -- as the service manager will write it up as installed owner-provided BCM and programmed. So you need to decide if the online price reduction outweighs whatever labor warranty is on the part/installation.

Some dealerships flat out refuse to install parts not purchased from them -- they claim they cannot verify its authenticity as a new OEM part --- and if they agree to install it they may offer 0 warranty. Scare tactic.
Be sure to check with the dealer before ordering. Tell them you'll bring them an unopened GM BCM part number.......xxxxx.....to install and you're confirming the warranty terms -- this way you find out up front exactly what is covered and for how long.

Parts counter and service writers will tell you this if you ask -- otherwise they will not b/c any part you bring in to install is $$ out of their pocket.

Old 07-20-2019, 08:19 AM

As usual, derf had provided some excellent advice. He's mentioned things I definitely would have never thought of. I don't like dealing with dealerships, but sometimes they're a necessary evil.

Old 07-20-2019, 09:43 PM
Super Moderator

Learned the hard way with my niece's 2004 Nissan Titan.

Old 07-22-2019, 03:49 PM

Thanks for getting that figured out. Made it easier to pick which to buy. I bought a new part, which was oddly $6 cheaper than the reman part. Go figure.

Old 07-25-2019, 12:23 AM
Super Moderator

I use OEM parts at work all the time because they fit like original and work like original. I am changing thermostats on our 2011 Diesel Fords recently, we have five 2011 F550 Diesel trucks. They have about 10,000 hours of run time on the engines and the mileage ranges from 125,000 to 165,000 miles. I have changed two thermostats in the last couple months and I ordered two more today since I have one truck with a permanent code for thermostat performance. Napa sells an aftermarket set for about $35 my cost, I will see what the factory set costs. They are a pair that come in one package, the first one is a 194 degree and the second is a 201 degree stat. The trouble code is because of the rubber deteriorates where the stat seats and coolant can flow a small amount all the time. There is a timer built into the software and when it takes too long to reach operating temp it sets the code. The diesel burns dirty when cold it needs the heat to get the cat converter working.

Quick Reply: 03 Vue Stalled and Won't Stay Running