Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Water Leak into Trunk; advice/tips for sealing area? [Pics]

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2017, 12:24 AM
Default Water Leak into Trunk; advice/tips for sealing area? [Pics]

So I haven't been able to sell my Saturn yet, and I'd like to try to solve one of it's problems while it's still in my possession.

There is a water leak in the trunk that pools up, and it's the raining season here in WA state so every few days I try to remember to grab some paper towels and get the water out so it doesn't get super moldy in the trunk before I can sell it.

I took some pictures of the water trail it seems to be taking.
My problem is I don't know how to get into wherever this leak actually is, because it's coming from a part that's hard to get to from the trunk side. It seems that it's coming in from some part of the drain under the rear window as it angles towards the driver-side rear door.

I'm hoping you guys might be able to help me solve this headache. Thanks if you have any tips!

Name:  UAkNOXK.jpg
Views: 133
Size:  144.0 KB

Name:  2yXLjRO.jpg
Views: 99
Size:  280.9 KB

Name:  QHi4jiM.jpg
Views: 89
Size:  120.1 KB

Old 03-05-2017, 08:41 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry but can't make heads or tails out of the pics.

Please take some shots from further away as I can't tell what I'm looking at -- not enough visual context

Old 03-09-2017, 11:48 PM

Sorry about that! The pictures are of the left rear panel of the car, seen from inside the trunk. It is the area circled in red in this photo. I suspect the leak is coming from somewhere in the blue area. The zoomed in photos in my earlier post are looking inside the trunk panel towards the inside of where the blue circled area might be leaking into.

Name:  opiAVD3.png
Views: 102
Size:  485.5 KB

Old 03-10-2017, 01:33 AM
Super Moderator

From my recent experience getting the rear glass replaced in my 97SC2:

I'm not implying the design is identical but it looks quite similar.
Basically the base of the rear glass dips below the front of the trunk lid and meets the frame (well some support stops, but it the glass gets glued down to the frame, making a sealed panel so to speak. This configuration creates a situation where there is a channel running across in front of the front trunk lip, contiguous with two side sections which allow drainage of ALL RAIN that runs down the rear glass and and the rain that runs down the rain channels on the sides of the roof ---which feed into the contiguous area mentioned above.

So I surmise you have
1) a hole/leak where the trim attaches to the frame (weatherstripping may be damaged or it may just have rusted around the fastener enough to leak
2) a hole rusted in the frame below the trim that is not by a fastener. I would expect this to be by the base of the rear glass. If water gets in behind/under that trim with the weatherstrippinng, it can get in in one location but leak into the car in another. IF this happening it would make sense that the hole would be near a flattish region where water didn't quite all drain
3) a gap between frame metal, but I think it would take alot of abuse to pull those sheets apart enough to cause a gap and leak.
4) a hole in the base of the trunk lip weathersealing or the metal it mounts to (at the bottom.