Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

tech question

Old 08-30-2010, 09:22 PM
Default tech question

ok i can get a screamin deal on this motor.. everythin, all accys, pulleys, injectors.. all complete motor.. its a 98 with 90K miles for $250 delivered, doesnt smoke, tic, knock, or tap.. my questions are 1, will everything plug and play with my 99 harness in the vehicle? and 2, is there a performance difference between those years? 3, are all the plugs of the same type (like on the map sensor on the 98 the same flat style as on my 99 harness in the car?)? i need answers, i am supposed to pick this thing up in the morning... T.I.A guys and gals

Hunter

Old 08-30-2010, 10:14 PM
Banned

Assuming you can believe your source --> "doesnt smoke, tic, knock, or tap" <-- that's a good price in most anybody's language .....

Old 09-01-2010, 08:21 AM

ok, maybe i am dumb but, i read on saturn wiki that 1999 cars dont have a fuel return line.. there is only one place on my 98 motor for a fuel line, but i still have a fuel return line on the actual vehicle, its a 99.. i am confused, whats the deal with this line?? can i plug it or will there be too much psi on the 98 motor and flood it out? can someone show me a fuel line diagram plz.

Old 09-01-2010, 09:05 AM

ok, maybe i am dumb but, i read on saturn wiki
===================================
I am sure you are not dumb! But if this Saturn Wiki;
www.saturnwiki.net
is the same one I read, there is enough information in there to almost take any saturn motor and by reconfiguring it to match the body you are dealing with, install it in any other Saturn.
Personally I do not expect motors from different years of the same car to be
Plug and Play.
There are far to many imposed, poorly thought out rules that have driven the manufacturers to design poorly thought out solutions to really expect things to be plug and play along with companies run by accounting that are looking for the cheapest way to manufacture the things and sell it.
So I don't know.
Also I feel confident that if I were in your position, I could, with a gasket set, swap what ever I need from one to the other to get a working motor installed, functional and smog leagle.
And for $250.00 for a complete motor delivered, that would by a new alternator and a 6 pack so I personally would feel it is a screaming deal not to be passed up.

Old 09-01-2010, 04:44 PM

haha, thanks.. but thats the thing, everything as far as electronics go, with the exception of the EGR stuff, does plug and play.. the only thing holding me up right now is my actual car (1999 SL2) has a fuel feed line and a fuel return line... my motor (supposedly) a 98 SL2 DOHC, has 1 spot anywhere for a fuel line. can i just change out the fuel rail, or can i plug my return line on the car, and call it a day????
someone plz chime in...
as far as smog goes,, haha well none of my cars have any of that, cats, restrictors, pumps, etc.. we dont have emissions where i live, and i get better gas mileage, and the motor isnt werking as hard to run all that stuff..

Last edited by Dual_Cam_SaturnSL2; 09-01-2010 at 04:47 PM.
Old 09-01-2010, 10:37 PM

Again, I would have to go through the same artical you do to answer the question. If all the electronics plug and play, that is good. If there is an intake manifold variation between the two years, that should be mentioned in the artical as to something to swap.
Personally if I have one of each I can look at it and tell if they interchange. If they don't swap intake manifolds over as that is where the fuel injection rail is.
It is my experiance on other cars where that is an issue, the fuel pump is designed to pump pressure and volume of fuel based on fuel line configuration.
Such as return and no return. And the regulation of the fuel pressure which controls engine rpm is based on the same thing.
It sounds like you need to change a mechanical part to make it compatible .
Does that Wiki artical say anything about it? If not, swap intakes would be my suggestion so all the right parts match up.
I don't know because
I have a 94 and have not had to worry about it and other than keeping my fuel injection cars running, converting my 80 to fuel injection, using a 75 motor and a retro fit kit for a 94 was interesting enough to keep all the pieces oriented correctly.

Old 09-01-2010, 10:41 PM

As far as smog goes, I have to deal with it. Thus when I buy a car that supposedly some one has made it run better by removing the smog stuff. By in large, I find out it is poorly done, the car runs like crap and when I finally get it correct and back into proper smog trim the motor runs far better than it did when I bought it.

Old 09-06-2010, 11:30 PM

UPDATE:
nice long morning of 4 wheelin... i get home and see the car sittin there.. so i put the motor in it.. .took about 3 hours.. wired everything up, bolted everything up.. didnt break anything on the car or me.. started up first crank.. only issue.. EGR valve (motor doesnt have it. PCM does), and Secondary air injection pump (car has it, motor doesnt).. other than that, it runs with the emissions light on.. right now i need to extend the exhaust, and put in pwr steering fluid and coolant, and change the oil and filter... she lives and runs again...
edit: figured out that this motor (even tho a 98) doesnt hvae a fuel return line and neither does my car... it was all a big cluster *****.. something was broke on the motor making me belive the only fuel line was on the injector rail.. and the return line on my car isnt a return line.. it al werked out tho.. ill post pics and vids soon.. for now here is a teaser pic... hang on while it uploads.

ILL GEt better pics up... my cam is set up for HD vid .. not still shotss... the 2 on the rigght have DDM tuning HIDs inem... 90 bucks total for both shipped to my door step..

Last edited by Dual_Cam_SaturnSL2; 09-06-2010 at 11:53 PM.