Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

sw2 overheating, head gasket leak, how to keep cool

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-2011, 04:15 PM
cjj
Default sw2 overheating, head gasket leak, how to keep cool

I am a womanwith no auto repair experience, currently in Bellingham Mass; have a 96 Saturn SW2 wagon, 146,000 miles. Had thermostat replaced month ago by garage #1 because car kept overheating every quarter mile. Garage #1 said it was not a water pump problem (I had replaced the pump 18 months ago). Worked for a week, went back to overheating. Garage #2 a Tech something or other franchise in Medway) charged me $87 to diagnose; said it had a leak in the head gasket and they couldn't tell if there was anything worse than that; said 1200 to fix. I am unemployed and cant swing that at all. Car also needs exhaust, they said 1100 for that, front to back.

So I am looking for a new used car. Cheap as I can find that is still clean and doesn't need any major repairs. My question is: how to keep saturn running so that I can use it for short distances until I can get a different car? How do I keep the engine core cool? I put in water constantly (can't afford to keep putting in antifreeze). I drive in 1/8 to 1/4 mile increments and then stop and let the fan cool the engine off, then go a bit further. Otherwise I would be stranded, no public transportation out this way. But lately even the battery has had trouble turning over. Two jumps today already. I go a few blocks, thermostat goes red. Is there any thing else I can do to keep it cool? Or at least cooler?

Thanks for all help.

Cindy

Old 05-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Banned

If you're overheating every 1/4 mile or so (assuming you started with a full radiator) and no airlocks in the system (major areas with air and no water) - I seriously doubt that your engine will survive for very much longer. Sorry, but that's the way I interpret your description.

Also, if you're overheating that quickly - it's not a small hole in the head gasket - its a big one.

Battery is starting to act up because you are constantly starting the engine, but not running long enough to recharge the battery

Old 05-02-2011, 09:58 PM
Super Moderator

+1 with Ocean on all points.

If you're overheating in a quarter of a mile you are killing your engine.
Are you seeing white smoke out the exhaust?

1200 is high for a saturn head gasket.