Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

SW-2000

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2009, 01:12 PM

Hallo everyone. Just bought the thing,300 buks! [img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]
It makes grinding,rubbing type of noise coming from automatic transmition area.

Is it transmition? How long it will last?

Shifting is fine,no problem.

I put it on neutral while going down the hill,but it stiil was making that noise.

Is there any way to fix this without taking transmition off the car?

The engine smokes sometimes but not allways,did not chek compression yet[img]smileys/smiley14.gif[/img]

Thanks

Denis

Old 02-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Banned

Since you did not mention it, I assume that the check engine light is not illuminated. If you overlooked that fact, and it is lit, I suggest going to AutoZone (or similar) and have the error codes downloaded. Post them here and we will see what is happening.

Oh, your grinding could be an output shaft bearing seal, or even the inner CVCC joint. Do you see any transmission fluid leaking? Are the rubber boots over the CVCC joints in good shape, or are they split or torn ??

Outside possibility - worn disk brakes, and the grinding you hear is the metal being scrubbed off the disks ...

Old 02-13-2009, 04:17 PM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher

Since you did not mention it, I assume that the check engine light is not illuminated. If you overlooked that fact, and it is lit, I suggest going to AutoZone (or similar) and have the error codes downloaded. Post them here and we will see what is happening.

Oh, your grinding could be an output shaft bearing seal, or even the inner CVCC joint. Do you see any transmission fluid leaking? Are the rubber boots over the CVCC joints in good shape, or are they split or torn ??

Outside possibility - worn disk brakes, and the grinding you hear is the metal being scrubbed off the disks ...
There is no check engine light illuminated.
The code reader plug in is bastged.
This is not CV joint. I changed them many times. Does not sound like it. Not breaks,does not sound like it too.The sound kind of deep,somwere inside not like cv joint,rubbing like,and when I turn this sound may disapear some times.
This is not a tire rubbing, i cheked. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
No leaks,transmission fluid looks clean.
I am not realy familuar much with automatic transmition,was driving standart most of my life

Old 02-13-2009, 11:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Airhead

(snip) ... The sound kind of deep,somwere inside not like cv joint,rubbing like,and when I turn this sound may disapear some times.

OK ... look for a defective wheel/axle bearing. Jack the car up, and manuallyrotate first one front wheel, then the other ... you should isolate your problem

Old 02-16-2009, 12:11 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher

Originally Posted by Airhead

(snip) ... The sound kind of deep,somwere inside not like cv joint,rubbing like,and when I turn this sound may disapear some times.

OK ... look for a defective wheel/axle bearing. Jack the car up, and manuallyrotate first one front wheel, then the other ... you should isolate your problem
Ok I did juck up the car,rotating seems ok to me,bouth sides are the same.No difference to other cars.
The frend of mine I dove with said this is wheel bearing too.
Hopefuly this is true,becouse I can change wheel bearing by myself and it should come out not that expencive. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
I filmed the sound today,maybe it will help figure out what is goin on [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9J7o8...;feature=chann el_page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cDSaf...;feature=chann el_page

I am afraid it could be defferential,but I newer heard bad defferential sound before,so I can''t tell for sure.

Old 02-16-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

While the video sound seems a bit muddied, (just might be my cheap speakers), I am leaning more and more towards the wheel bearingas being the culprit in this case ...

Old 02-21-2009, 02:58 AM

I change the bearing,there is no noise when I go straight,but when I make a tight turn the sound comes back. I suspect the bearing on the other side.
Any way,300 bucks Saturn doing well so far,at least it is not transmition seems like. But I newer heard bearings make noise like this before,usualy they start wining.
Thanks for your help [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2FIQIOcAbjc
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qsZz8I9hmx0