Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Stumble/Missfire

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2015, 07:32 PM
Default Stumble/Missfire

I have a 00 SL 1.9 SOHC 5spd 191k miles. It seems to have a missfire or a stumble/dead spot/non fire something when driving. Car sees mostly highway to and from work. When traveling at 70 it more or less bucks under light throttle. When given heavy throttle it seems to clear out and actually pull cleanly. I have noticed that this bucking happens more when car is OPERATING TEMP vs. it being cold. Also it is a lot more noticeable when going up hill. There are no codes for what i'm feeling either. No SES or pending codes when scanner is hooked up.

I have recently within the past couple weeks replaced
-Plugs (NGK 5643, gapped to .040),
-Wires
-Both Coils
-Air Filter
-PCV
-ECTS (Brass tipped)
-TPS
-Rear 02

Fuel Filter is less than a yr old.

Been told it could be my ICM but hesitant to go to a junk yard and grab one knowing nothing about it and it possibly not being any better.

Any other ideas or suggestions to what i should test or try?

Last edited by BigShoes; 01-17-2016 at 08:21 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 AM
Super Moderator

have you changed the ECTS (coolant temp sensor) to the brass redesign?

many a posts on the forum. Single most obnoxious part on car.

Buy OEM GM only and replace the wiring harness; aftermarket ECTS s for these cars often lack the proper resistance vs Temp behavior

Old 12-31-2015, 07:31 AM

While yes if it hasnt been changed i should swap the bad designed part for the brass part. But to say that the etcs is causing it to buck or miss i dont see how that would effect it. It started out as doing a tune up to try and get the most mpgs i could get but obviously its something deeper. Im not looking to throw money and parts at it with a "this could be it" mentality.

Old 12-31-2015, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

I'm sorry for suggesting you might want to investigate changing out the single known part to fail on any and every s series car ever manufactured up until 2001 I think.

I'll keep it short, as you are keeping it rude.

On second thought, I just erased my explanation, not because you're questioning my suggestion (which was at your request), but because somehow you're trying to infer my " Yes or No question and suggestion" is part of a shotgunning of parts approach, your accusation being based on NOTHING since I haven't suggested anything else. Which if you read any of my posts on this forum over the last 10 years, you'll find I am in fact diametrically opposed to.

The part fails and usually overrichens the A/F mix, manifesting itself in S cars in many ways, which I'm sure you'll look up. Drivability comes to mind. Between hesitations at around 2000-2300 rpm, stutters on acceleration. hard starting, no starting, front O2 poisoning from running overly rich for extended periods, further messing with the A/F ratio......

So yes it IS possible.

It's about the most obvious first question anyone on this forum will ask you, and it's the most important place to start when diagnosing drivability issues. Every Saturn S car owner either knows it or LEARNS IT.

I think I'll sit on the sidelines for this one, lest I influence you with my supposed parts shotgunning approach.

It was homed and developed over 38 saturn years of ownership and almost 500K mi of maintenance.

Old 12-31-2015, 12:08 PM

I said i didnt see how it would cause the issue but if you want to take my comment as me saying i think your wrong you have jumped the gun. But hey ill go check the plug which i was going to do anyways with there being the know issue with them as i stated in the first sentence of my post. And if it solves the problem ill send you a nice package of the cookies of your choice. Just pm me your address.

Last edited by derf; 01-02-2017 at 12:47 AM. Reason: Edited to remove vulgar language (intent intact)
Old 12-31-2015, 06:50 PM
Super Moderator

Go search my 5000 plus posts and you'll find mistake after mistake. I try to be correct for the sake of others. People "challenge" my line of thinking all the time, which I actually appreciate because I learn from that too. I do the best I can.

I don't care if you think I'm right or wrong. That's not the point. I'm trying to help you fix your car.

The point is that your first sentence was sarcastic and ties in with your implication that I recommend shotgunning parts which you imply at the end of the post. I do not know why you deny that in your PM. Totally unfounded.

Copping an attitude is not very smart if you intend on getting assistance from this or any other forum.

Usually we ban ingrates like you for copping an attitude for no reason whatsoever--trying to bite the hand that wants to feed you.

But we'll see if you choose to change your behavior or continue your ways---in which case you'll be banned.

And the language needs to go. This isn't a YouTube comments section full of 14 year olds.

Where they will ask if you've checked/changed the ects.......

Old 12-31-2015, 07:02 PM
Super Moderator

oh and the TIP needs to be brass, not just the connector.
You have to pull it to check it.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:08 PM

Yes as ive read.

Old 12-31-2015, 07:14 PM

Please tell me how ive attacked you in any way shape or form.

Now its ok for you to be sarcastic but not ok for me to say something that you take as such when it wasnt.

Thats fine

Click ban if you feel the need to.

Last edited by BigShoes; 12-31-2015 at 07:28 PM.
Old 12-31-2015, 08:48 PM
Super Moderator

Would be most grateful if you could update your forum signature to match the content and layout of my signature for your satty. Can include any other vehicles, and a quote of something meaningful if you so wish.

Thanks

Also, example format in PM from 12/24

Last edited by derf; 12-31-2015 at 08:52 PM.

Quick Reply: Stumble/Missfire