Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Steam from engine

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2011, 09:53 AM
Default Steam from engine

Hi everyone. I am new to this forum and thought I'd give it a shot. My wife has a 97' 2 door SL1(I believe) maybe SC1. She said that when she is stopped at lights with her heater on there is steam or smoke coming from under the hood. When she turns the heater down the steam lessens. Is there something that is common for causing this? Thank you very much in advance. I have not had a chance to drive it yet to see for myself.

Old 12-21-2011, 01:59 PM
Banned

It sounds like there may be a pinhole leak in the line going to the heater core, and that is splashing on the hot engine/exhaust. Make sure her coolant level is correct, and add to it as needed.

Old 12-21-2011, 02:18 PM

I agree with OA, it sounds like it's time to replace some hoses. And I always replace both radiator hoses and heater hoses at the same time.

Old 12-21-2011, 07:14 PM

No thats not a common problen on any car that I know of. So your going to have to do some research all on your own to find the problem.

Old 12-21-2011, 08:02 PM

Thank you for the responses. I will check it out as soon as possible. I did add some coolant to it a couple weeks ago and she said today that it was low again. I will keep you posted to what I find out. Thanks again, Luke

Old 12-22-2011, 09:03 AM

Hey Luke, you need to look at the water pump and make sure it's not leaking too. If it's got a leak, then it could be hitting the drive belt and slinging the coolant all over the engine.

Old 12-22-2011, 11:43 AM

Update: I started and let the car idle for about an hour today and found nothing. I did not see any steam of any kind and could not find any leaks either. I think I'll have to take it down the road when we don't have 10 inches of fresh snow on the ground. Maybe when she's driving it it is blowing on something causing the problem. It was low again on coolant and the oil looked good and so did the coolant so hopefully it is not leaking inside the engine somewhere. There was not even any beads of abnormal moisture on the dipstick from what I could tell. After I get back from the holidays I will cehck it out further. Thanks again and Merry Christmas!

Old 12-22-2011, 11:39 PM

I would have to look at what controls the water going to the heater, but steam comming from the engine when stopped indiates water some where that it does not belong.
Seemingly fussing with the heater seems to indicate a hose or a valve or the heater core itself when used, water under pressure (a normal situation in side a hot engine) is squirting out some where when it should not.
Valves that control the flow of water and hoses that are supposed to route the water all tend to leak as a function of time and miles and neglect. Or just being onry. There ought to be a wet spot somewhere and lines going to and controlling water to the heater core are a likely suspect. If you are going to let the car sit and get hot, turn on the heater too.
I have seen a lot of wierd problems over the years including one my mother found with her lincoln. Every time she turned on the heater, as it cycled through it leaked. Only while cycling. Dad would not believe her so she waited a day, got dad to stand in just the right spot and asked him to look for a leak.
Whe then turned on the heater and shot him in the chest with a stream of hot water. Then inocently asked if he saw anything.
He was so mad he could not talk. But it was a great story passed around for years.
So make sure things are cycled. A leaky water pump is certainly a candidate. I know on my Saturn, the plastic side tanks on the Radiator are beginning to weep. I am running on borrowed time now.