Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starting Safety Button under Clutch

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 03:14 AM
Default Starting Safety Button under Clutch

In my 97 manual trans there is a button under the clutch that causes the starter not to turn over untill the clutch is fully pressed down. I can only assume most model saturns around my year (prob all) with manuals have this button. I honestly had no idea it was down there untill a day or so ago it started clicking and popping when pressed and depressed . I hadnt ever heard or felt it in any of my previous Saturns.

Has anyone ever bypassed and removed this feature. I got down there and investigated a little and I want it out of there. After all, I know when my car is in neutral and when it isn't!

Old 02-20-2013, 05:21 AM

Clutch/Nuetral safety switch was put there for the safety of those that could be in front of your car, and for those that may not know you disabled it. It hurts nothing, not being there could hurt someone. Yes they were in all your Saturns, they are in all cars. It's just stupid to disable.

Old 02-20-2013, 05:53 AM

Well It would not be the first time I have done something that would have been called stupid. But on the other hand, if no suggestion on how to remove it, then any help to make it stop clicking would be helpful. There is no interruption of cranks. It cranks everytime with no problem. So I dont think the switch is going bad.

But I have had many cars/trucks with manual trans that had no switch like this and would crank at any time. As a matter of fact I have moved cars that were temporarily disabled to get them to safer locations by putting them in gear and turning them over. They move a very little bit and when you release the ignition they immediatly stop due to being in gear.

I totally understand the concept of why it is there but I can only assume that people who would want a safety feature like this on their own car would probably have the parking break fully engaged in this situation as well. But I get it.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:28 AM

That switch showed up in the 70's as a federal law required on ALL cars and light trucks. I'm sure you'll be able to look it up. To bypass is simple, but I'm not getting involved with anyone getting hurt.

Last edited by sw2cam; 02-20-2013 at 06:36 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:07 AM
Banned

Ayup -- With all due respect to those people out there (like myself) who learned to drive manual shift cars without the neutral safety switch ... remember that the government enacts laws/rules/regulations to help and protect you (especially from yourself)

Old 02-20-2013, 06:14 PM

Okay i gotcha guys. I am no longer asking for how to pull it out. Does anybody know how i can get it to stop clicking. I feel a popping under my foot. I know its the switch but electronically it's working fine.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:41 AM
Super Moderator

i have had a 95 and 97 sc2 since new. Those switches have clicked since day 1.

Your cd player volume is not turned up high enough.
After about a month you won't even notice it anymore

Old 03-04-2013, 04:51 AM
Default Clutch switch

Originally Posted by krazy Dan
Okay i gotcha guys. I am no longer asking for how to pull it out. Does anybody know how i can get it to stop clicking. I feel a popping under my foot. I know its the switch but electronically it's working fine.
Krazy Dan.....by pass it if you want. It is your car, the feds have imposed alot of laws in the interest of saftey that really was in the interest of money in someones pocket. For example...the Corvair that Ralph Nader and our goverment said was unsafe was actually a safe car. Car Craft magazine disected the video of the saftey test and found the saftey issue was driver induced. BUT if you do by pass it, in the interest of saftey to others put a little sign in plain view warning any other drivers of your Saturn about the by pass. And yes, I have had that switch fail in my 95 SC2.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:50 PM

I know this may sound crazy, but I think it may have been weather related. We had a few really cold, really wet days just before it started happening. But ever since its dried up it seems to have quit. Or at least not as loud as it was...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by RICKERACER
Krazy Dan.....by pass it if you want. It is your car, the feds have imposed alot of laws in the interest of saftey that really was in the interest of money in someones pocket. For example...the Corvair that Ralph Nader and our goverment said was unsafe was actually a safe car. Car Craft magazine disected the video of the saftey test and found the saftey issue was driver induced. BUT if you do by pass it, in the interest of saftey to others put a little sign in plain view warning any other drivers of your Saturn about the by pass. And yes, I have had that switch fail in my 95 SC2.

I guess I was probably too young to remember or even care about the saftey issues but my father used to have a drop top corvair years ago. I dont even remember what year it was and it wasn't the prettiest thing on the road but I sure we had kept it in the family!

Quick Reply: Starting Safety Button under Clutch