Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starting problems

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2014, 07:27 AM
Banned
Default Starting problems

SO i have a 2000 SL1 with 141000 miles on it. In the last 2 months i have had some starting issues. When it gets really cold out like 0 or below 0 all i get is a click. Starter has been changed. Battery is new and battery cable has been changed. Checked all the connections and all are tight and clean. I had a volt meter plugged into the outlet in the car and when i turn on the car the voltage drops even with a charger on the car. I am at a loss as to what this could be. anyone else run into this problem? Any help would be great. Thanks in advance

Steve

Old 01-28-2014, 07:52 AM

Sounds like you're losing connection somewhere. Perhaps the ignition switch?

Old 01-28-2014, 11:04 AM

Since you et the click and the voltage drops significantly, then I suspect a mechanical condition with the starter. As it gets colder, metal shrinks. The starter is made of of different metals which will shrink or expand at different rates with the temperature.

It could be that due to different machine tolerances, the gap between the armature core which is steel and the aluminum case of the starter has shrunk to zero so the armature can't turn. Or you got some moisture in the bearings and it has turned to ice.

If you just keep turning the key from start to run in rapid succession and its ice, the starter should break free and start turning. If it doesn't, then it sounds like a clearance issue.

Old 01-28-2014, 11:43 AM

Maybe you could stop in the new member area and introduce yourself. While your at it open the USER CP top left of most pages and add your first name, location, and car info to your "signature".

Old 01-29-2014, 11:22 AM

You say that the starter has been changed. Was that before or after you started having this problem? If after, did it make any difference in the symptom at all?

Old 01-30-2014, 08:00 PM
Banned

Problem started before the starter was changed. Have tried 2 different starters. First one was a Salvage yard starter second one is new. All three starters that have gone on the car act the exact same way. I have discovered low voltage on the purple wire at the solenoid. Did some engineering and got the right voltage at that point and problem still exist. I am really at a lose as to what else to try or do. I will keep plugging away and hopefully i will get it figured out.

Old 01-31-2014, 11:42 AM

It would be interesting to know what would happen if you eliminated everything but the starter and solenoid. Connect a fully charged battery with jumper cables, one connected to a good chassis ground and the other to the +Bat connector on your starter. Then use a screwdriver to short the solenoid connector to that big battery connection.

If it does the same thing just hold it for a while and see if the jumper cable heats up. If it does then the starter is definitely stuck. Did it go in and fit nice and flush when you replaced it?

If it doesn't then you have to question whether the solenoid is actually closing when you hear that click. If you hear the click and the starter motor turns but doesn't engage the engine flywheel then its the solenoid/shift lever mechanism.

Did the new starter come with the solenoid already attached? If so then you're gonna have to assume that you just aren't getting the full 12+ VDC when you're in the "click-only" state.

Last edited by Howard_Woodard; 01-31-2014 at 12:08 PM.
Old 01-31-2014, 03:45 PM

It must be raining in seattle .....