Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Starting Issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2011, 09:23 PM
Default Starting Issues

Its a 99 SL2. The car has only done this to me twice so far, Two days ago and today. It starts normally after sitting for five or so hours, then I drive it about 3 or so miles and shut it off (went to get gas this time). Not even 5 minutes pass - I go to start it and when I turn the key to start nothing happens - all the lights on my dash stay on like it would when I start it. Turn the key off and try a few more times - still nothing. There is no noise that would indicate that the starter is trying. I got out and pulled both ignition fuses (there still good) and then reinsert them. About a minute later I hear a click from the left hand side of the car (if your looking into the engine bay) And i go to start it and it turns over. I personally think it has something to do with the solenoid - but I could be wrong as always. Has this happened to anyone else?

( I did have the oil and the trans fluid changed last week also - could that have caused something - other than that the only thing different on the underside is the exhaust... witch has been done since december and im pretty sure has nothing to do with it. )

Last edited by Octavious; 03-24-2011 at 09:42 PM.
Old 03-25-2011, 07:13 AM
Banned

By any chance, do you have a remote keyless entry on your SL2 ??

Old 03-25-2011, 07:33 AM

Yes, It does have the keyless entry, after it happened the first time the first thing I did was test it - locked the car and unlocked the car and even set off the alarm and reset it. still nothing happened

Old 03-25-2011, 08:08 PM

Check the battery cable ............

Old 03-26-2011, 08:45 AM
Banned

sw2cam may be on to something .... The positive battery cable on Saturns seem to be subject to (for lack of a better name) internal corrosion and rot. I suspect it comes from battery acid getting under the cable insulation. Since a lot of Saturn problems are electrical in nature, that is probably the best place to start ....

Old 03-26-2011, 10:09 AM

Im taking it to the shop today so I can look at it and ill start looking at the cable then.

Old 03-26-2011, 02:36 PM

So- upon taking it to the shop the only thing I was able to find was that my battery's cells were nearly dry, and that the battery expired nearly 6 months ago... I checked the power cables and it didnt feel as if there was any corrosion or broken leads in it. I checked the starter also and the contacts aren't corroded. Im going to see on my way back from work tonight if it will do it again. - but now I will be replacing the battery before the summer.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:02 AM

Even new batteries can have bad cells. Always a good place to look when nothing happens with the key. Most auto parts stores will check battery and charging system for free.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:04 AM

And if you had some dry cells, and it has been giving you issues, you will likely need to replace it soon. Don't skimp on a battery.

Old 03-28-2011, 10:10 PM

Bad news, it has happened again and I couldnt get it restarted (until 3 hrs later) and had to leave it at the deli and take another vehicle. I will be replacing the battery tomorrow (although right now I dont think thats the main problem, but most likely contributing ) Im going to be pulling the starter and having it tested at my local auto store, and most likely be replacing that too... Im also going to be looking into some of the wiring in between....

yay.

Quick Reply: Starting Issues