Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Security light on

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2015, 07:00 AM
Default Security light on

Security light is on and it won't start. Worked fine last night, Also the service light is on. need help big time . Thanks.

Old 06-16-2015, 09:54 AM
Super Moderator

You mean Security AND Service (wrench) I assume from your post in the other thread.

I'm going to guess that you removed the neg battery cable when replacing the fuel pump.

These cars are extremely sensitive to system voltage levels.

Your phenomenon has been reported before. Not really sure of the nitty gritty, but basically you need to investigate the battery cables and the battery terminal posts for corrosion, disintegration, looseness, and your battery must be held down by the tie down.

Cut the cable insulation back a few inches. If you find corrosion/evidence of acid erosion, replace the cable and check your battery for acid leakage at the terminal, though it could have been from an earlier battery. Once went to change out a dying battery and the terminal fell right off the battery when I went to loosen the terminal.

Make sure your battery posts are clean clean clean.
Make sure your cable connections are tight and clean. This includes the - neg battery cable ground to the car frame -- if it is not making good connection or is corroded, your moving the cable around while disconnecting/connecting could have been enough to affect the connection. Clean up that connection.

So battery terminal posts, cable terminals, cables themselves, and ground connection.

Let us know

Old 06-16-2015, 12:48 PM

Cables clean and tight, New battery . Found a you tube video on this, If the security light is blinking turn off and wait ten min. then turn on if light stays on and not blinking it will start.

Old 06-16-2015, 05:36 PM
Super Moderator

you did not indicate it was blinking--you indicated it was on --- which I interpreted as solid continuous on.

Neither here nor there....

Does your car now start and run?

Old 06-16-2015, 06:18 PM

Tightened all connections and all seems fine, Start and drive ten to fifteen miles shut off set for five mins. and restarts fine . Have done this four times so far. Hoping it will stay running for a while. Again Thank you.

Old 06-16-2015, 07:22 PM

Spoke too soon just tried it and no go! Could it be the ign.switch ?.

Old 06-16-2015, 11:18 PM

Now the interior light comes on and off while driving .

Any thoughts ?

Old 06-17-2015, 12:45 AM
Super Moderator

could be. I have read on other sites where people tried changing out the entire column and the passlock system objected to the point that they had to put the original back in and change out the ignition switch.

Search the web for "saturn sl1 security light and Service light" or similar.

As for the interior light, I'm gonna guess your driver's door was not fully latched and the plunger that detects whether the door is closed was going in and back out.

Old 08-25-2020, 08:56 PM

Can I disconnect the security system?

Old 08-28-2020, 05:24 AM
Super Moderator

No.
You can have it "relearn" the expected responses it passes between modules if it gets confused.

You can "bypass" it, which is how people refer to supplying the system what it is looking for so it never thinks it is being stolen.

The biggest problem is that the security system is not a discrete module on these cars (S,L,Ion,Vues. Etc). It is merely programming inside the BCM. And when that begins to fail, you get into situations where the expected responses get "forgotten" and the system can no longer be relearned. So the car will not run. Ever. Which means replacement BCM. Which means $$.

Quick Reply: Security light on