Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

S-series trans probs-banging into gear,hard shifts

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2009, 09:16 AM
Smile S-series trans probs-banging into gear,hard shifts

Earlier this summer I purchased a 2001 SL2 auto with 102K from a dealer auction. Cars are usually sold at auctions for a reason....On the drive home I found the reason behind this little jewel.... tranny issues-banging into gear,hard,erratic shifts, but no slipping, the typical Saturn trans problems that dictate valve body replacement. I'm usually scared of auto trans problems because of my ignorance of the subject. I usually just change out the entire unit which, on the S series is quite labor intensive. Since I have a Saturn junk/treasure yard,and as such have access to low mileage parts, I figured I would change out my first valve body, which involves a lot less work than a complete tranny r&r. By the way I use a lot more DOHC engines than trannies, so I have lots of low mileage transmissions, and SOHC engines left over. Anyway, I swapped out a 43k valvebody, take the car on a short test ride and notice no improvement. I chalk it up to another case of me being the bug instead of the windshield.
I contemplate playing my ace in the hole, but instead move the car to the back of the (now) junkyard so I don't have to look at it anymore. In the meantime I read about these late model trannies and their need to go through a "learning process". Unlike my two daughter's college educations the Saturn only has to attend the school of hard knocks, which is free, so at this point, I'm all ears. Yesterday I pulled the car from the back of the junkyard and took on a parts run to Baltimore (64miles rt), and by the time I got home it was running like a new car-no trans problems whatsoever. Don't you just love a story with a happy ending? By the way, the car is now for sale.

Last edited by hoseppi; 11-29-2009 at 09:27 AM.
Old 11-29-2009, 08:50 PM
Super Moderator

well then, hos--- it's not a junkyard after all-- it's got shiny gems in it!

Old 11-30-2009, 06:29 AM

Beauty is in the eyes of the beholder. One mans junk......yeah yeah you've heard it all before.