Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Replaced head now misfires

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-2013, 07:39 PM
Default Replaced head now misfires

Anyone please I replaced my cylinder head car ran fine prior to replacement besides head being cracked. Now the car runs like the timing is off checked the timing twice, checked the firing order replaced the plugs. this is a 96 sl1 sohc is there anything else that could cause this I ordered a remanufactured head. Do you have to learn the crank sensor?

Old 03-12-2013, 09:57 PM
Super Moderator

don't believe there is any relearning needed.

Are you throwing codes? if so, which ones?

Old 03-13-2013, 12:55 PM

When you checked your timing, did you check your valve timing or your ignition timing? I'd guess that your valve timing is off by a link or two. Did you use a new chain?

Old 03-13-2013, 01:29 PM

The code was multiple misfire. I used the same timing chain the car has 89,000 miles on it. I bought it used it looks like someone was in there before me it has new chain guides. I set the timing the way the book told me to do it silver links on the marks on the cam gear other side on the crank. I,m thinking maybe a vacum leak or something is wrong with this head. It sucks because the car ran fine plenty of power no misfires before I put this rebuilt head on now I can't even drive it.

Old 03-13-2013, 03:41 PM
Banned

A compression test would tell a lot about the head and the rework accomplished. Also, list the actual code numbers here so we can see what's happening...

Old 03-13-2013, 04:58 PM

See if someone you know or your local auto parts store has a vacuum gauge you can borrow. Find a port on engine that pulls a vacuum and unplug that and plug the vacuum gauge in. You can see what's going on with the vacuum that way and if it's timing related or not.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:25 PM

Ok I will get all the codes tonight and I will check compression and vacum. I unplugged the map sensor and the engine ran better with it unplugged so I am going to replace that while I'm at it. I will update what happens and have my fingers crossed.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:55 PM

Check for an intake leak mainly around the number 1 cylinder. Spray carb cleaner or something on that order. If idle changes you have a leak. Same way to check all areas for a vac leak.

Old 03-18-2013, 06:04 PM

I checked for leaks it was code 300 I sprayed ether everywhere no change in idle. I've come to the conclusion the head is messed up so I got a used engine and put that in. Car runs good now hahaha I am sending the head back to the company and they will tell me if there is something wrong with it. I will let you know what they say about the head. My service wrench light was flashing now and then the check engine light came on after a day. The car runs fine and doesn't overheat I will check the codes hopefully something small.

Old 03-18-2013, 10:33 PM

A P0300 code is often the camshaft position sensor.

Quick Reply: Replaced head now misfires