Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

rear disc??

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2008, 07:52 AM

just woundering if anyone has rear disc brakes?? i have seen that there are aftermarket rear disc brake rotors for the 91-99 s-series but as far as i know they are drum... i have only worked with 3 saturns and they where all first gen sl1 with rear drum. a 91 sl1, a 93 i think sl1 and my 95 sl1... just woundering what it would take to convert from rear drum to rear disc... and btw i dont have abs

Old 06-05-2008, 09:08 AM

Its as simple as a trip to your local junkyard and picking up the parts. 1991-1998 S-Series that had ABS, had rear discs. But you can do a rear disc conversion on any 1991-2002 S-Series that came with rear drums. All you need to get is the rear calipers, caliper mounting brackets, and parking brake cable from the junkyard. Then new pads and rotors. Which parking brake cable you get depends on the year and model of your S-series.

I''ve done this conversion on quite a few of the Saturns I''ve owned.

Old 06-12-2008, 11:33 AM

where did you get those rear head rests? are they just the front ones put into the back? wanted to do that to my integra but i could never find the right seats...

Old 06-12-2008, 01:06 PM

1994 SL2 Homecoming editions had them. Late 1993-1995 sedans have the provision for the attachments already on the rear deck. You just need to order the plastic trim attachments, cut out the holes in the rear deck carpet and slide in the headrests. You can use the specific rear headrests or use front ones that can be picked up at the junkyard.

Old 06-13-2008, 08:12 AM

Low Sat..
What is better for braking drum or disc for the back? I wouldn''t mind putting disc on my rear.

Old 06-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Dont really think it makes that much of a difference. The majority of the braking is done up front. Rear discs look prettier and are easier to maintain.

Old 06-13-2008, 01:27 PM

Sounds like a good project for me...i Got a 99 sc2, with drums so it should work eh , any S series 91-01? If i went to the junk yard where would i look first for rear calipers and the mounting stuff, or should i just buy new?

Old 06-13-2008, 01:46 PM

The only thing you need to buy new is the pads and rotors. Everything else will be fine. Just make sure you get the parking brake cables from a 1996-1998 Sedan, coupe or wagon with ABS.

Old 06-14-2008, 12:50 PM

i was at the junk yard yesterday getting a fuel pump for my friends 96 neon and saw only one saturn there with rear disc... it was a green sc2... im not sure what year but it was an older one with the flip up headlights. i didnt check the dash or steering wheel for air bags, can i use these brakes? and what is the difference in the handbrake cable??

Old 02-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by 95_sl1
i was at the junk yard yesterday getting a fuel pump for my friends 96 neon and saw only one saturn there with rear disc... it was a green sc2... im not sure what year but it was an older one with the flip up headlights.
That's odd, because every time I hit my local Pick-&-Pull, they have between 12 to 15 various Saturn S-series cars (not to mention the ION's and Vues and stuff). Seems like almost half have rear discs. I was amazed. Makes me want to grab some and do the conversion. I've been an auto mechanic most of my life (worked at several shops plus to all the work on my own cars) and still absolutely hate doing rear drum brakes! Now that I know which cars had the rear discs standard and/or optional, I'm going to find a set and swap my rear drums. I love 5 minute brake jobs!

When I read someone's post here that the Saturns with ABS have rear discs, I went outside and checked my buddy's 98 SL which has ABS for sure, and was amazed to find it DOES have rear discs! I told him, and he was amazed. He never knew he had 4-wheel discs in the almost 15 years he's had the car! He said he did the front brakes a few years back but not the rears. Now he's gonna do the back brakes.

BTW, I got my 02 Saturn SL needing a shift cable and clutch for $450. It's a one-owner car with all receipts, including the original bill of sale from the local Saturn dealer!

Quick Reply: rear disc??