Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Possible Broken Piston Rod

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 01:00 AM
Default Possible Broken Piston Rod

Is it worth replacing?

I have a 2002 SL2 with about 88000 miles on it. I hadn't driven my car for 3 weeks because the oil light came on and my so-called mechanic never got around to looking at my car. After finally returning my expensive rental, I got in my car, and of course, it made a loud noise, smoke came out of the engine, and the car stalled. A friend looked at the car for a few mins before towing it for me (I wasn't there) and he said he believes it's a broken piston rod. I don't know all that much about cars, but know it's because of the lack of oil, so who knows what else could be affected in the engine.

From this preliminary diagnosis can you tell me if it's worth replacing the broken piston rod? Do you think I would have to replace the entire engine? Is getting a new engine worth the cost or should I sell and buy another car? How much would it cost to repair in any of these scenarios? I have a VERY small budget to work with.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:11 AM

Realistically? Even if the car is only 8 years old and low mileage, repairing the engine is probably going to cost more than buying a new driver.
Well maybe not, depending on a few factors but certainly more than the car you are now driving is worth.
Parts that break, take other parts with them. Could I fix the car (which would take a replacement engine because I would not even bother with the one you have based on your description of what took pace) releatively cheap? Yup, but mostly I would do my own work, I would find a replacement engine even if it ment buying a running parts car. I would spend upwards of $1000.00 doing it. I have a feeling it is going to cost u upwards of $3000.00 to do the same.
Two problems. Engine rebuilds are labour intensive and expensive.
Saturn is out of business making the value of the car, tank.
Some expensive models were not very popular, they tank even worse.
My suggestion to those who have not blown up their engines yet?
Check oil often and quit using 5W30 motor oil and use something heavier. A minimum of 10W30 at least and in most places 10W40 is a practical alternative.
This story is getting repetive as time passes leading to the conclusion that a marketing decision back in the day to get better gasoline mileage by using light weight oil has a decided negative affect on engine reliability as a function of time and miles.

Old 10-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Default Sorry to hear about your misfortune

This is a tough question to answer because there are so many variables that effect making a good decision on your car. I agree with Uncljohn that repairing the motor based on your description is going to be expensive. Also, if it were me I would find a replacement engine and install it myself. This may not be an option for you.
The value of the car is something to consider but if you like the car and everything else is in good condition 88k is not a lot of miles on these cars. How long you will keep it if you repair it is the key to your decision, the longer you keep it the less the repair will have cost you. I have a 02 SL-2 with 195k miles and I’m looking to get 300k out of it, but like yours I have to check the oil level often. This is the nature of this beast but all cars have some type of issue as they age, get to know you car. These really are dependable cars that are relatively easy to repair and maintain. If you are considering buying another used car of the same value as a replacement, you will not know what problems may be lurking in that car. If you have someone you trust that can help you find a shop that can find a good used motor and install it would be my suggestion and then drive it till the wheels fall off.

Old 10-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Thanks for the responses so far.

On top of everything, the car has already been frustrating for me because of the money I've already put into it. I bought it used at 55k and the previous owner did zero preventative maintenance on it, so I've replaced A LOT on the car already. Tires, brakes, rotors, battery, timing belt, some wiring, spark plugs, the starter, etc., all on top of it guzzling oil.

I only know the basics of maintaining a car, so all of this is at the high costs of dealerships and repair shops. Unfortunately, I don't live in the same state as my parents who had their same repairmen for 30/40 years who would do it at a reasonable price. The reason I took it to the "mechanic" was because when the oil light came on, I couldn't get the hood to open. I asked 2 friends, no dice. I tried to get an oil change, & they couldn't get the hood open, either. So I thought it was better to park it than to risk any damage. So now I'm really frustrated, especially because I know I was right & the service guy did nothing about it.

I had been planning on purchasing another car within the next year or two, so if it's going to cost $3000+ to replace the engine, I'm thinking it might be better to use it as a down payment on a newer car. But on the other hand, I hadn't expected to need a car so soon/suddenly, so I hadn't budgeted monthly car payments in my life. And on a third hand, I had been thinking passing the car to a family member, so it still might be worth it even though this would all be at my expense and not the family member's.

Still don't know what decision is best, but I need to make it soon as public transportation is non-existent here.

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 PM

On top of everything, the car has already been frustrating for me because of the money I've already put into it. I bought it used at 55k and the previous owner did zero preventative maintenance on it, so I've replaced A LOT on the car already. Tires, brakes, rotors, battery, timing belt, some wiring, spark plugs, the starter, etc., all on top of it guzzling oil.
=====================================
Some of these items are normal replacement parts and are not out of line with normal wear and tear experianced with a car of 88,000 miles. The actual cost of these repairs can very a bit depending on how or who does them. Saturns are not hard to maintain and is one of the reason that I enjoy owning the one that I do. A 1994 SC2 coupe purchased as a 4 year old used car.
However, one of your replacement items is raising a flag to me. you replaced a timing belt?
Either you mean a serpantine belt, the rubber one that drives things like the alternator and power steering etc.
or
you got took
because these cars do not have a timing belt.
They use a timing CHAIN which with normal use will go 3 or 4 hundred thousand miles with out a problem.
I dunno,
I wish I had a better answer for you. I find it inflamitory when at the dealer for a minor problem that seemingly should be dealt with straight forward and the clean cut kit with a clip board and a tie tells me that I NEED another $3500.00 worth of repairs if I expect to be able to drive the car home.
I have to grit my teeth and resist the temptation to beat him to a pulp with a tire iron for having the gaul to try to intimidate me into spending money that is not required and certainly has no bearing on why I am there.
grrrrr!
There is a fitting responce for the situation. I heard the line just the other night.
What is a redneck word for Bite Me?

Old 10-09-2010, 12:38 PM

Yeah, I know it's part of regular maintenance, but the problem was that a lot of it should've been done before I bought the car. Most of those fixes I did within the first 2 months of owning the vehicle.

Yes, the guy told me "timing belt." I took a male friend with me to get the car looked at, but unfortunately for this situation, my male friends are all nerdy guys who know nothing about cars. I actually had to show some of them how to check their fluid levels!! And this is coming from someone who doesn't know much about cars, either! But I think he must have meant the serpentine belt because he showed me the part and it was rubber.

It's kind of hard for me justifying spending $3000 on a car that is worth just that much itself. But I need a car.

I'm just so mad that I am constantly the victim of bad "mechanics" because I happen to be a female. I just want my car to run and run well. I wish I knew someone who fixed cars or at least a guy who understands their game to keep me from getting had.

Such is life, I guess. Arugh!

Old 10-15-2010, 05:41 AM

If your piston rod is busted, it's probably damaged other parts of the engine, if it runs after they fix it, it will probably not run very well. They might have to rebore the cylinders, and they'd have to do a very, very good job, all that money you could be putting into a new engine, or a new car.

, if you really like your car, and you get a new engine, you'll be set for a long time, kind of like havin a new car. If you shop around and haggle a bit, you might be able to get a new engine installed for alot less than 3000 dollars.

You can shop around for engines a little, save some money that way. Maybe find out if there are other types of engines that can go into it, cheaper ones. Maybe try a used engine, some cars are totaled in car wrecks, but the engine is still perfectly good. I see some that have a 2 year warranty, that's not bad. They're not gonna risk having to fix it on a 2 year warranty unless they're sure it's in good shape.

A new engine with a 5 year warranty for 1500 dollars is gonna be better than a used engine for $600 dollars, with a 1 year warranty, though, you just gotta do some research, decide how long you want to own it, etc. Just givin you some ideas to work with.

Make sure you know whether it's a parts warranty or a parts and labor warranty, etc, that's a big difference, too.

this is just an example of a website that sells engines, you can shop around online, so you have an idea of what kind of prices you can get.

http://www.lowmileageengines.com/?gc...FeFM5QodijTMLg

Here's some rebuilt engines, for a 2002 Saturn. They only have a 90 day guarantee though, a rebuilt engine is obviously one that had to be rebuilt because it was in bad shape, so, gotta look at the warranty.

http://www.actionsalvage.com/Engine/...urn-engine.htm

Make sure you replace the timing belt while they got it all torn apart if you get a new engine.

Last edited by MikeIndiana; 10-15-2010 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-15-2010, 11:44 AM
Super Moderator

s cars have timing chains

Old 10-21-2010, 10:11 AM

Thanks for all of the info.

Old 10-28-2010, 08:13 AM

Get a junkyard motor. These engines last forever its not that common to puke a rod. Get a junkyard motor and keep oil in it it'll last forever.

Quick Reply: Possible Broken Piston Rod