Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Please help, 1999 SL-2 cabin fan does not run, no A/C

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2009, 01:35 PM
Default Please help, 1999 SL-2 cabin fan does not run, no A/C

It is hot as hell here in AZ and the fan won't run thus no cold air. The A/C shows a full charge of coolant. I looked in owners manual and want to start by checking fuses. The manual says fuse number 7 but the fuse box has no numbers. Anyone have a diagram/ where else should I be checking for problems, please?Any info is deeply appreciated.

Chris

Old 05-14-2009, 03:53 PM
Banned

Interesting problem -- as there are several fuses involved, not just one. First is the fuse link involved with the (cabin) blower motor. It doesn't usually go out, but it remains a possibility for right now. There is also the HVAC blower motor relay, located on the Instrument Panel Fuse Block (IPFB). Also, on the Underhood Fuse Block (UHFB) there is the IGN3 fuse, the A/C fuse (controls the compressor), and the cooling fan fuse (for the fan that blows on the radiator).

Quick question, when you turn the system to A/C, does the light next to the switch illuminate?

Old 05-14-2009, 05:18 PM

OceanArcher,

Thank-you for responding (sincerely), yes, the A/C dash light does illuminate. Where is the IPFB located, please? Can these relays be diagnosed with a multimeter or is it a matter of changing units to diagnose? I need some type of a road map for the underhood fuses as the box does not have numbers to correspond to the fuses. I suppose I could remove each one individually and check for breakage but would like to expedite working in 100 plus degree heat here. Any guidance you can share is deeply appreciated.

Chris

Old 05-14-2009, 08:49 PM
Super Moderator

The fuse/relay layouts are on the underside of the covers you take off to get to them -- both underhood and instrument panel

Old 05-14-2009, 09:46 PM

Originally Posted by derf
The fuse/relay layouts are on the underside of the covers you take off to get to them -- both underhood and instrument panel

derf, awesome...I'll check them in the morning. Blower motor does not run at all, anything besides fuses and relays I should check? Thank-you.

Chris

Old 05-14-2009, 11:22 PM
Banned

Well, if you got voltage everywhere, and the blower motor still doesn't run, it might be the resistor pack for the various speeds - unusual failure though. Normally you lose only one speed setting, not the whole pack. Course, the blower itself may be shot .....

Old 05-15-2009, 11:41 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
Well, if you got voltage everywhere, and the blower motor still doesn't run, it might be the resistor pack for the various speeds - unusual failure though. Normally you lose only one speed setting, not the whole pack. Course, the blower itself may be shot .....
OceanArcher,

All fuses are fine. Should I just next put in new relays (A/C and Cooling fan under hood, and A/C in cabin fuse box)? Could you direct me to the location for the resistor pack, please?

Thanks for making the time to assist me.

Chris

Old 05-15-2009, 03:13 PM
Banned

OK -- Before I went and bought relays and resistor packs, I'd disconnect the plug on the (cabin) blower motor, and use a voltmeter to find out if I'm getting voltage to the motor. If voltage is present, that means that the resistor pack and all the relays are good, and the blower motor is toast. If I can't get voltage to the plug, then I'd start looking to replace things (relays, etc). I don't rightly remember where the resistor pack is located, but it is under the dash, probably near the cabin fuse box ......

Old 05-17-2009, 11:57 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
OK -- Before I went and bought relays and resistor packs, I'd disconnect the plug on the (cabin) blower motor, and use a voltmeter to find out if I'm getting voltage to the motor. If voltage is present, that means that the resistor pack and all the relays are good, and the blower motor is toast. If I can't get voltage to the plug, then I'd start looking to replace things (relays, etc). I don't rightly remember where the resistor pack is located, but it is under the dash, probably near the cabin fuse box ......
OceanArcher,

Good Advice and much appreciated. It turns out the relays were toast. The blower motor was bound up with debris. I cleaned and reassembled it and all speeds on blower work. Resistor is on top of blower and access is by removing glove box but it is fine. I also got radiator fan working with a new relay. It won't blow cold air but the compressor appears to cycle and the clutch spins freely. I think next step is A/C shop for an evac and recharge. This forum helped us alot. Thank-you, sincerely.

Chris

Old 05-17-2009, 01:12 PM
Banned

Glad to hear you are on your way to a 'cooler drive'........ enjoy

Quick Reply: Please help, 1999 SL-2 cabin fan does not run, no A/C