Views: 474
Size:  65.2 KB

Name:  image_zps4e76f58a.jpg
Views: 452
Size:  58.4 KB

Name:  image_zps8e14fd69.jpg
Views: 230
Size:  72.0 KB

Went from the ugly as crap plum color to a nice koi orange... The color is exclusive to dipyourcar.com...

The car isnt finished, as i ran out of dip, but it looks a far sight better than before... I bought it with horrifying paint that was done by the used car dealer i bought it from, and my wife scuffed it... A huge improvement if you ask me, and itll be finished this weekend...

Old 11-14-2013, 10:14 PM

Got any before pictures? I'm curious as mine needs painting and I can't afford it. If this method isn't too expensive, I'd like to try it on mine. Different color, of course. Where did you buy it?

Old 11-14-2013, 10:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Different color, of course.
What, Volunteer Orange instead?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:26 PM

Unfortunately, i did not take any before pics, basically got excited and got started before documenting the original state of the car... I guess you could google a pic of the original plum color...

I bought the dip from www dipyourcar.com

It isnt expensive to plasti dip a car versus painting, and the dip adheres fine to the plastic body on these cars, and is completely removable should you change your mind...I wouldnt highly recommend doing the car in spray cans like i started out to accomplish, but expect to use 20-25 cans of dip to get the requisite five coats if you go that route...

Another(and highly suggested) method is to buy gallons of dip, at 52 dollars each for basic colors, premium finishes cost more ( you will need 3 for a saturn or 4 to be careful, as it is better to have a surplus than a deficit) and spray it through either the spray gun that is sold on the site or a good HVLP gun using a 1.8-2.0mm tip...

If you do gallons you have a pretty wide color choice just in colors from DYC, or you can buy a base color like gunmetal and a gallon of clear and mix 25-50 grams of a pigment of your choice and make pretty much any color you want...

I would recommend watching the videos on youtube by dipyourcarcom on spray technique, but you can dip a car for 180-260 dollars in material, including masking(scotch blue is best for dip)... The sprayer would cost a little, but it is definitely cheaper than a professional quality paint job...

As for the color on the car, its not finished, as i thought fifteen cans of the orange would give me five coats and cover the plum color... It clearly did not...

Old 11-15-2013, 07:37 AM

Thanks for the information. That's still a little pricey for me. I know a guy who will paint my SC2 for $200 if I buy the paint. Seems like every time I get a little cash put to the side though, my wife will need some prescriptions refilled or we have to make an emergency run to the doctor or some kind of crap. Right now I've got about twenty bucks saved. I had the 200, but had to take the wife to the ER a couple of weeks ago. It'll work out when it's supposed to, I guess.

Old 11-15-2013, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by keith
What, Volunteer Orange instead?
Oh, hell no, Keith! I am not a Volunteer fan. And believe it or not, I don't like country music either. In the SEC I'll pull for whoever the Vols are playing. I don't care if it's Bama, the Gators, Vanderbilt or who. I love seeing UT lose. I have a sister that's a UT grad and love to rub it in every time the get their butts kicked. My car is gold, so I'd like to get as close to the original color as possible.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:31 PM

I'm not a Vol. fan either. I used to work in middle TN and made a weekly commute up and down I40. On Sunday afternoon on my commute to my apartment from my home in "Oh that place", I would see a lot of new luxury cars with UT Knoxville parking stickers in the windows fly by me, and I generally ran about 80. I got to thinking those student loan programs sure are generous. No wonder graduates can't pay off their student loans, but thats another rant, don't get me started.

I had one job for awhile where my boss was a young MBA grad from UT Knoxville and thought us Military retirees just made his taxes higher and we didn't deserve it. Needless to say, we did not get along very well and after I closed his office door and slapped him around a little, well lets just say I got a career change, and was happier for it. within a week, I had two job offers, one in the same type of job for more pay and one for slightly less pay but in a job I enjoyed much more, I took the second offer.

Old 11-15-2013, 04:43 PM

What really gets me is that the most fanatical "fans" never even went to college and the rare ones that did, didn't go to UT. Good for you for slapping that punk around too.

Old 11-17-2013, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by Rubehayseed
Oh, hell no, Keith! I am not a Volunteer fan.My car is gold, so I'd like to get as close to the original color as possible.
You could look into the vintage gold plasti dip... The stuff is great for DIY, if you wanted to, you would still almost certainly come out cheaper than having it painted... What does good paint cost a gallon?

I recently retouched the car using another eight cans of koi orange, wet sanded the texture i got prior to adding dip... I will post pics of the end result as soon as i get the car photographed...

Last edited by 19bonestock88; 11-17-2013 at 04:06 PM.
Old 12-13-2013, 06:11 PM

Well crap how did I miss this. Looks very good! Rattle can or paint gun?

Quick Reply: Plasti dipped 2000 SL1