Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

picky saturn 200 sl2 dohc

Old 12-05-2017, 10:46 PM
Unhappy picky saturn 200 sl2 dohc

rebuilt the top and bottom of the DOHC engine and it ran great no leaks ran smoothly until I took it into town 9 miles away it then died just suddenly the oil light came on just a few seconds into the trip but it didn't make any noise but we pulled over real quick now it won't turn over. I am thinking it is the oil pump because when we had it apart it had a big groove in the timing cover but we cannot find a new timing cover for cheap. the only leak we had was the upper radiator hose came off, broken hose clamp, damn. next we will try to take the oil pan off and check the bearings and maybe the timing cover.

Old 12-06-2017, 01:07 AM
Super Moderator

Confused.

1) How far did you drive it before it quit? 9 mi to town or almost nowhere b c you saw the oil light and pulled over?
2) Won't turn over as in not start or won't turn over as in rotate at all? Have you tried to manually rotate the crank with the plugs out?
3) If previous death of vehicle had huge groove in timing cover, was probably from the chain snapping due to ---lack of oil.
4) Not trying to beat you when you're down, but without oil pressure we both know what happens.

Probably seized if you pull the plugs and cannot rotate by hand, or if the new timing chain broke, you have some mangled valves

Old 12-06-2017, 11:09 PM

only drove it a few feet. it made no noise when it died. already have the valve cover off and took out the camshafts still won't turn over. i am thinking he tightened the bolt on the harmonic balancer to tight. it ran smooth and quiet until it died after the upper radiator hose came off it just stopped.

Old 12-13-2017, 05:52 PM
Super Moderator

Any sign of oil in the tip end of the motor?

Pull plugs. Cyl's empty? Full of coolant?

Maybe a head gasket breach where you are getting cylinder compression into the cooling system, which blew the hose off
Followed by a serious head gasket failure where you lost all compression. You would likely end up with coolant in the cyls but may not have burned off
Unlikely, but could have drawn coolant into cylinders, creating a hydralock situation

Does the crank rotate by hand?

Apparently, the new timing chain did not break as you would have said so and seen if when removing the cams

Turn over = fire while rotating or turn over = rotate at all?

Could swear I replied to this already. Whatever. My post his here now