Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Oil Change Accident

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-2011, 02:09 PM
Default Oil Change Accident

Hi guys, I had an accident while changing the oil in my 95 Sl, and need some help. While trying to get the oil filter loose I ripped a yellow wire out of an engine sensor and have no idea what sensor it is or how to get the wire back into the plastic clip. The sensor was to the left of the oil filter and on the plastic piece the wire went into says "1 PED" on it. The sensor in question is the one on the right in the photo. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Name:  SDC10953.jpg
Views: 120
Size:  76.1 KB

Last edited by katarn; 12-01-2011 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Added photo
Old 12-01-2011, 02:30 PM
Super Moderator

picture = thousand words

can you post one?

Old 12-02-2011, 06:54 PM

If you're referring to the silver sensor with the black top, it looks like an oil sending unit to me. I'd remove the wire from it and just cut the old one off and splice a new one in. It looks to be just a two wire plug.

Old 12-02-2011, 11:42 PM

Im abit confused by your photo. if the sensor your talking about looks like this - thats your oil pressure sensor. It looks like you broke the connector off the wire, so youll have to get another one and splice it in.

rubehayseed your talking about the engine knock sensor i believe.

This is how it should look

Last edited by Octavious; 12-02-2011 at 11:48 PM.
Old 12-03-2011, 07:08 AM

With out proper tools to remove and replace the pin with in the connector or even replacement pins, I suggest hitting a wrecking yard and finding a plug and cutting it out of the circuit with about a foot or so of wire on it and splicing the pig tail on to your wire.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:30 AM

Thanks, Octavious. Being new to Saturns, I wasn't sure what that was. But, we're still not sure if that's what he's referring to, are we? Does the knock sensor have two wires on it? He still needs help identifying where the wire goes. I don't have a clue.

Old 12-03-2011, 08:51 AM

Thanks for the help guys, between this forum and another one I know its definitely the oil sensor. The closest junkyard is pretty far so I'm planning on going to the parts store and seeing if I can just buy a new one to replace the old plastic cap that the wire ripped out from.

Old 12-03-2011, 03:30 PM

You're still going to have to repair that wire, man.

Old 12-03-2011, 10:56 PM

Im not sure if you'll be able to get a replacement plug for that wire from any auto store. if you cant your best bet is a junkyard and or an authorized saturn service center.

If anything, print that picture and circle the connector so they know what your talking about. Ive been in pepboys too many times and gotten the wrong part because I explained it wrong or the employee interpereted it wrong.

(If only this happened sooner, I wouldve had one to send to you haha. I just got rid of that block though.)

Old 12-05-2011, 01:44 PM
Banned

Well, I'm a bit concerned too, as by the information in the Chilton Manuals, the wires for the oil pressure sensor are either TAN or TAN/BLK ... not YELLOW

Quick Reply: Oil Change Accident