Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

New Member - passenger side mirror question

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2018, 12:42 PM
Default New Member - passenger side mirror question

Hi, I just became a Saturn owner. I just purchased a well cared for 1999 SL2. Manual Trans with basically 0 options.

My question is how to adjust the passenger side mirror. LOL

I basically do all of my own maintenance on my vehicles and am a little embarrassed to ask this, but I tried moving the mirror glass with my hand and it doesn't seem to want to move. It kind of feels like it is a power mirror, but I don't see any controls for it anywhere.

I'm wondering if someone replaced a manual mirror with a power mirror and is it just stuck in the downward most orientation.

Before I pull the mirror off the car to check if it is a power mirror, could someone please post a picture of where the control would be in the car if I had a power passenger mirror?

Thanks!

Last edited by notny41; 06-14-2018 at 12:45 PM.
Old 06-14-2018, 01:54 PM
Super Moderator

The control for the mirror would be behind the window up and down switches. It does sound like someone threw a power mirror on there that they got from a junkyard. They tend to make a clicking sound when you push them where they need to make them go when you are not using the power control. It is definitely not best practice but in your case you have no choice. Just do it one click at a time. Or show out $30 for a manual passenger mirror but know that it will come matte black primer color so if that will not match your car you will need to paint it or also change the driver side mirror which is manual with the same mirror Style in order for them to match. Are you sure it isn't SL2 and not an SL? If if it has no other power options I I I doubt that it came from the factory with a power mirror

Old 06-14-2018, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

If you do choose to remove it make sure you do not drop the nuts into the door frame. Then you have to take off the inner door skin which is not that much of a pain in the *** but a pain in the *** none the less. And do not overtighten

Old 06-14-2018, 03:18 PM

Ok, thanks derf. I don't think I have power pass. mirror because I have hand crank windows. Looks like I'll be pulling that mirror off after all. I'll use a magnet while pulling the nuts off too so they don't drop down into the door.

Much appreciated!

Old 06-17-2018, 09:22 PM

Pulled the mirror housing off and there is no motor in it.

I did discover a couple of broken tabs inside the mirror housing where the glass is held to the housing as well as the third mount point for the housing itself was completely broken off. I ended up plastic welding the housing mount point and then reinforced it with plastic epoxy. I also glued the inside tabs for the mirror glass inside the housing with plastic epoxy.

I also took the driver's side mirror off and did the same thing to it except it only had one glass mount tab that was broken.

Both driver and passenger mirror housings used to stick out away from the car in the front because they each had that front mount point broken off. They both also used to have mirror glass that would jiggle around when you drive because of the broken tabs. Since I fixed them, they both now sit flush to the car the way they should and no more jiggling mirror glass.

Thanks everyone! This was an easy project and fix.

Very glad I pulled them off and checked them.

Old 06-17-2018, 11:17 PM
Super Moderator

Holy crap you were able to manipulate the mirror glass without breaking it? They must have been OEM mirrors because the aftermarket ones snap if you look at them funny. I have never bothered to try using epoxy to put the mounts back on. Good to know it works. I actually break off my passenger mirror Mount by Mount by bumping into it in the garage between our vehicles. Lame but true.

Glad to hear you have sorted things out

Old 06-18-2018, 08:20 AM

I can easily see that derf that front mound is very thin and not reinforced by any extra plastic materilal like the other two are...