Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

New here with 97 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2022, 04:59 PM
Default New here with 97 SL1

New here with 97 SL1 with 45k miles. I am glad to see there is a following and that people enjoy these cars. For the most part, it seems good. The car, obviously, sat for some extended times. It starts well, runs well, but as it gets hotter in the day it becomes difficult to start. I just read through these forums about it looking to be a temp sensor so I will hopefully get that taken care of soon.

Old 04-05-2022, 07:42 AM

Welcome to the forum. That's definitely a low mileage car! Derf is our resident S car guru and he's done a TON of research on how the S cars work and what makes them tick. Ask his advice and he'll let you know what to check out and what to leave alone.

Old 04-05-2022, 04:49 PM
Super Moderator

Welcome.

ECTS is an excellent place to start.
Replace the pigtail connector to it as well. I believe both are available on RockAuto. Get the Dephi sensor.

Is it that the ambient temperature gets higher and the engine is already hot?
Does this happen when the ambient temperature is higher but the engine is cold?

Old 04-06-2022, 06:48 AM

I really don’t know. I have only been driving it a couple weeks and my drive is very short usually. On Mondays is when it gets some miles. Last Monday, it started great as it had been but as the day went on I had to drive about a half hour and when I had to start back up to leave there, it struggled a little to start. I drove back to town and it drove fine, stopped somewhere before heading home and when I started back up it was a little harder to start. Then we had to go back on that half hour drive again and when it went to leave that time it was getting hard to start. The day continued with more driving around and I was worried that I wasn’t going to get it started anymore. The next morning, it started great again. While driving it, i don’t see anything happening with temp gauge.

Old 04-15-2022, 09:13 AM

Originally Posted by derf
Welcome.

ECTS is an excellent place to start.
Replace the pigtail connector to it as well. I believe both are available on RockAuto. Get the Dephi sensor.

Is it that the ambient temperature gets higher and the engine is already hot?
Does this happen when the ambient temperature is higher but the engine is cold?
I changed the sensor and plug but it is still doing this. Any other ideas? The starter stays strong. It is starving for something.