Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

New to forum and need a motor

Old 07-13-2009, 02:18 PM
Default New to forum and need a motor

Hi all,
Got a question...
We received a '93 SL2 4-door manual transmission frm some friends for our daughter. It was not running.
Our firends bought it used and after an oil change, the oil change place said "Oh NO!! You've got metal in your oil!!!" I've heard that one before...
They drove it for another month and it stopped running for unknown reasons. In his "non-mechanical infinite wisdom", he thought "metal in the oil" = bad oil pump....

He pulled the valve covers and timing chain cover to get to the oil pump and got in OVER his head. It sat for 6 month like this and then we acquired it. It sat another 2 months. Then a buddy and I pulled the motor. (what a b$%ch in 100 degree texas heat!!!)

Head looks ok, cam bearings appear to be good. Pulled the oil pan and there were a coffe cupful of aluminum pieces in the pan. Apparently the timing chan disintegrated at some point in this motor's life and I now know why there was "Metal in the oil"... The chain took a guide with it over the cliff..... Somoeone replaced the chain, guide, bushings, etc...

The cap bearing inserts are scored as are the crank bearing inserts. The crank shaft surfaces look ok, but have some gaulding and discoloration.

Took it to a machine shop and they said it would cost a LOT less to get a replacement motor, than it would to rebuild this "throw-away" motor. $1200+...

I need to find a replacement motor. Don't need a new ($$$) motor, but something that will run for a couple years to get my daughter started into the driving game.

Any ideas or sources?

Old 07-13-2009, 03:22 PM

check your local salvage yards we picked up a motor for our sc for 400 you usually can get them already pulled or u pull it also check craigs list for a donor car

Old 07-13-2009, 03:40 PM
Banned

Budsjlm gets the "+1" for that answer. Most of the yards that do this type of thing will give a limited warranty for the motor. Just realize, it is USED, and was not designed for abuse

Old 07-16-2009, 07:02 PM

Check Pic-a-part, you can find it online and then find the nearest one near your house...a motor should cost you about $150.

They guarantee it for 45 days as well!