Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

My "New" SL

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 09:52 AM
Banned
Default My "New" SL

Well, since I was in "need" of a commuter car that was cheap enough to avoid financing another vehicle and given my past great experience as a 1999 SL2 owner I went out in search of a "new" S-series to fill the role. I looked at a number of places and most of it was truly unimpressive. The worst was a 1996 SL2 with 160k for which the seller wanted $2150. That doesn't sound wholly unreasonable until one discovers that the "service engine soon" light is on, the clutch is 3/4s of the way to burning out, and the parking brake doesn't work. It also had the clear coat peeling off over most of the body and a number of cigarette burns in the interior. No thanks!

I eventually did find a 1999 SL in excellent shape. I drove it under a number of different conditions, checked the CarFax (clean), and then negotiated a bit on the price. Short story is that I bought it. Its a base model, which mean no power windows, locks, mirror, or even power steering. That is all fine with me, that means none of that power stuff can break since it isn't there. It does have AC (which works very well) and an aftermarket CD player with about 8 million little tiny buttons. I think I might go retro and replace the CD with a factory cassette player if I can find one that works. I ran the VIN and the car was originally shipped with a cassette. The car is in excellent shape and only has 99k. I'm happy so far. Here are some pretty bad cell phone pics of it.

Old 04-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Banned

Congratulations on your "new/old" car. Here's to the next 100,000 miles ..........

Old 04-22-2011, 09:17 PM

Yeah, looks like it's in real good shape! How far over $2k was the final haggeled price, if you don't mind me being nosy? Around here (SF Bay Area) a '99 in that shape with only 99k on it would be a sure shot at $2500, maybe even a little more, even without accessories...congrats on a great commuter!

Old 04-23-2011, 03:51 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by timmerz
Yeah, looks like it's in real good shape! How far over $2k was the final haggeled price, if you don't mind me being nosy? Around here (SF Bay Area) a '99 in that shape with only 99k on it would be a sure shot at $2500, maybe even a little more, even without accessories...congrats on a great commuter!
I ended up paying $2900. Might be a little high, but S-series cars in as good a shape as my new one are hard to find around here. I looked at several in worse shape for more money, plus the ratty SL2 for $2150 before I came across this one. I didn't want to pass it up and have it be gone later since it was basically just what I was looking for.

I think I might see if I can track down a set of '99 15" alloy wheels and get some 60 series tires for a little better handling. But that, and perhaps an original factory radio, is all I am planning on doing to the car.

Old 04-23-2011, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Landric
I ended up paying $2900. Might be a little high, but S-series cars in as good a shape as my new one are hard to find around here. I looked at several in worse shape for more money, plus the ratty SL2 for $2150 before I came across this one. I didn't want to pass it up and have it be gone later since it was basically just what I was looking for.

I think I might see if I can track down a set of '99 15" alloy wheels and get some 60 series tires for a little better handling. But that, and perhaps an original factory radio, is all I am planning on doing to the car.
I've had my '99 SW2 (same as yours, but wagon config. and 2-cam w/all the options) for just over a year now, bought it with 142k for $2400 in excellent shape, and am STILL planning on upgrading the rims/tires, tunes and tinting the back windows.....just haven't gotten around to doing it yet, and looks like I'm going to have to replace front shocks/struts (don't know what it has yet) and timing chain before I do any of the upgrades, 'cause I have 190k on it now, and those are the 2 items that need attention at this time. Going to start getting quotes next week.
Hey, here's a tip for you: the primary outer body parts are plastic, and you really have to be careful about setting stuff on top of the car while you're looking for your keys or otherwise engaged....I have managed to put several dents in my car without thinking about it! I'm sure they can be pulled out with suction, but just sayin'....

Old 04-25-2011, 10:43 AM
Banned

The aftermarket radio in my SL really is pretty stupid. It works just fine, but all the little tiny poorly marked buttons are useless for a car stereo. I wonder who is designing these aftermarket radios? I still have a bunch of cassettes (and nothing to play them on), so I figure an original '99 factory cassette is the right answer for me. I remember the Cassette w/ EQ in my first Saturn, also a '99, to be very easy to use with reasonably sized buttons.

I'm not a big audiophile, so long as the sound is reasonable and the radio is easy to use I'm happy. I generally prefer factory radios since they look like they belong, generally sound decent, are user friendly, and are unlikely to be stolen.

Old 05-08-2011, 12:22 PM
Banned

Here is another picture of it, parked next to my other beater vehicle, a 1990 Mazda B2200 pickup.

Name:  IMG_2515.jpg
Views: 60
Size:  126.0 KB

Old 05-16-2011, 05:47 PM

Try these guys out for any Saturn items you'd like to get. All they do is Saturn. They're in Florida, so no rust.
http://6thplanetusedparts.com/