Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

My "new" SL2 needs some TLC - help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 11:43 AM

I just bought a 1998 SL2 because the 40 mile commute to work in my RX8 and Explorer is killing me.My new Saturn has120K on it, and seems to be in pretty good shape, but I think it could use a little TLC.

I plan to do a tune up (plugs, wires, air cleaner, etc.) ASAP, along with an oil change, radiator and tranny flush.

The car starts a little roughwhen cold, and iddles a little rough as well, so I'm hoping the tune-up will address this issue. If not, I guess I'l have to tear into the fuel system (injectors, throttle body, filter, etc.). One thing I'm not sure about though, is the odometer doesn't seem to light up. If you look at it in the right light, youcan read it, but it's tough. It seems to be counting fine, but I would like tofix it properly - any ideas?

The exhaust also seems a little loud as well. Not really bad, but enought to bug me - is this common? I haven't looked at the under carriage very closely yet, do the Saturn's have that flex-connection right in front of the catalytic converter? Every car I've ever owned with that flexible section of exhaust has developed a leak at that point eventually.

Any suggestions would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

Bridgett

Old 05-24-2007, 11:04 PM

Try this; http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=24003

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884

The odometer backlight is blown and needs replacement; while you're removing the instrument panel to replace the lamps be sure to buy a few extras in case the removal/replacement of the i/p jostles and breaks the delicate filaments of the other lamps.

Most cars have the flex connector otherwise too much engine movement will eventually crack a hard pipe joint. Its also a vibration damper from transmitting exhaust vibration through the car frame. Depending on where you live will determine how long this flex pipe resists corrosion especially the rust belt part of the nation using salt for winter seasons. Shop online for replacement.

Old 05-25-2007, 06:25 AM

Thanks! I am going to tackle this Monday after I get home from camping!

Thanks again for the reply!

Old 05-29-2007, 07:18 AM

Well, I did a tune-up (plugs, wires, PCV, cleaned throttle body, air cleaner, etc.) and the car seems to be running much better. I also replaced the ECTS and it fires off right away - even when cold! I was able to get the ECTS at PepBoys for just over $7 - what a deal!

Thanks for the advice,

Bridgett