Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

key cylinder problem SL1- 2000yr

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2009, 08:16 PM

The other day I come home from workto find out my wifes car wont start and she got a ride to work. She tells me the key wont turn in the ignition. I check it out and I cant get the key to turn either. I check the Nuetral safety switch by the clutch pedal with my meter and it shows itworking ( notshorted out) Checked all my fuses under the hood and in side panel and they checkedout good. Found a you tube to see about pulling the cylinder out but it says you have to put the key to accessory but I cant it wont budge. Any ideas would sure help

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 PM
Banned

As you attempt to turn the key (with your right hand), move the steering wheel CW and CCW to see if the key mechanism will free-up

Old 02-20-2009, 09:33 PM

Yup tried that but no go. I''ll try it again. Ive tried both keys. I asked my wife if the car chimes when you have the door open with the key in but she says no that hasn''t worked in a while. The key goes in real easy,,,, almost too easy for me but its not my car amd I rarely drive it. I looked forthe switch in the door frame. Does it have any thing to do with a security feature that might be preventing the key from turning??? I''m thinking about buying a code reader.

Old 02-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Banned

Well, not from a Saturn, but I have had a problem like that many years ago on a Ford product.

Turned out, the little switch inside the keyslot that senses the key broke, and dropped a piece of metal into the lock mechanism. Had to have the car towed to the dealership and the steering column torn down, and the lock replaced - bummer

Old 02-21-2009, 08:15 AM

Start by having your nearest SATURN dealer cut you a key. If a new key does not do the trick replace the cly mech.

Old 02-21-2009, 04:58 PM

i would try tapping the key with a small ballpeen hammer while trying to turn the key....i usually can get it to turn then drive into my bay.... it''ll save you a tow.

Old 02-22-2009, 09:31 AM

Well heres what I did yesterday to try and get it to work, First off I went to my local junkyard (was going there any ways to look for parts for my jeep) and I was lucky enough to find a 2001 with the same ignition switch. I was able to pull it without taking off the steering wheel and used vise grips to get the antitheft bolts off column. (10 bucks)I then went back home and pulled the one off my wifes car. I then went down to the Saturen dealer with the one for my wifes car and had a key made for it hoping that it would turn the cylinder,15 bucks,but no luck So I went home and tried to figure out how it all came apart. I finally drilled the thing out enough to get the internals picked out with a small screw driver and then was able to turn it toAcc., andput a small pin in the hole to release the cylinder itself from the housing. The dealer ship wants 104 bucks for the housing and 115 to install a new cylinder. I''m going to drill out the one from the junkyard and have it taken down just to put in the cylinder for a$115. I still think thats too much and gonna do a search for a diffrerent parts source.I scewed the original housingup a lil but i got a bolt stuck in the cylnder and it turns in the housing but dont think the wife would like that setup LOL.