Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Ignition Key Locked

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2011, 07:52 AM
Default Ignition Key Locked

I have a 99 SL2 automatic. Tried everything but key is in locked position. Looked at RichPin you tube videos and got everything down to removing the lock cylinder. No hole or button to remove this.

I do have a cable from the shift lever under the lock cylinder. If this is out of adjustment could it prevent the key from turning.

Thoughts?

Thanks.

Old 08-16-2011, 07:09 AM

I'm not sure that I can help you other than I see messages like this on and off on Saturn forums and I too have experianced it. But in my case mine I think is from wear and probably some corrosion. I have found problems with the ignition switch and by wiggling the key, some WD30 and wiggling the steering wheel (why that? The steering wheel lock is in the steering mechanism and if the wheel is turned for a turn the pressure applied to the locking mechanism is high, so wiggling the steering when helps relieve the pressure) and the pushing the key straight IN towards the center of the column seems to help releave the pressure on the locking mechanism while turning the key seemes to have help dealing with ignition problems that I am experiancing.
To the point I have developed the habit of pushing in while turning the key on this car. Once unlocked with the key out I have scurted WD-30 an some powdered Graphite into the mechanism and have avoided having to take it apart to actually find out why it is acting up and fixed it.
I guess I have taken apart one too many steering columns and no longer enjoy the challange.