Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Ignition not moving

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2006, 11:10 PM

I know absolutly nothing about cars, except that I love my poor little saturn which is having a bit of an issue right now. When I put the key in the ignition it will not turn, at all, as if it is locked. It goes in and out smoothly but will not turn once inserted. Please, do not ask me if it is in PARK, yes it is. Yes, I have tried jiggling the stearing wheel. Actually I called the 800 number in the manual and they had nothing to tell me either!

It is a 95 SL2 TwinCam, AUTO. 175000 mi. Everything else runs perfect, never had any major repair work needed... Until now, Anyone have any insight on how to fix this issue... BEFORE my dad rips it apart and I have to use a screw driver, PLEASE!

Allison

Old 09-27-2006, 01:02 AM

Try getting a new key cut from your local dealer.

Old 09-27-2006, 02:37 AM
Super Moderator

Is the springy thingy in the lock cylinder pushing against the key when it is inserted, and then springing back to normal position when the key is removed? I have encountered situations where I take the key out, but the springy thingy doesn't spring back into place, leaving the lock cylinder stuck in a position where the key can be put back in but it can't be turned.

Working the key in and out (on a slight angle) while futzing with the steering wheel usually does the trick.

Try futzing with the shifter as well -- it may not be fully seated in park, which may be contributing to the problem (??)

Derf

Old 09-27-2006, 12:24 PM

oh yeah, i forgot to mention. I have a brand new key from the saturn dealer

Old 10-03-2006, 12:34 AM

it could be a couple of issues here. My first gut feeling is that it could just be a bad key lock cylinder or the park/neutral rod and/or switch could be out of adjustment.

Old 10-18-2006, 05:12 PM

same issue here. 2001 SL2. I ripped it apart already. Now all I want to do is is put a key in or anything to start my car. How can I over ride?

Old 05-31-2007, 08:19 AM

Just incase anyone else has this issue and it wasn't answered here....I had the same problem...key would go in and out but wouldnt turn. I had to take apart the console covers and pull out the key cylinder (page 12-4 I think in the Haynes Manual) That pin in the back that is on a spring was caught in a crack in the cylinder...I just took the pin out and now it works perfectly. Might have been better to replace the cylinder, but this works so far.

Old 05-31-2007, 10:37 AM

Having similar issue with a 95 SL2

The first time it happened i was at a gas station in a not-so-good neighborhood. It was not a pleasant experience.

However I found a fairly simple (though annoying that it has to be done) solution.

When I park the car and pull the key out, I check that the ignition cylinder popped back flush with the trim ring. If it didn't I stick the key back in, put very slight counterclockwise pressure on itand pull it out quickly. This usually will free up the cylinder and it will pop back flush with the trim ring.

Other than that, I would imagine the only option would be to replace the cylinder and/or the entire ignition switch assembly.

HTH.

Dan

Old 06-01-2007, 10:49 AM

I have much the same issue with my 94 SL1. The key cylinder is very sloppy but the only recurring symptom is that the alarm for the key left in the cylinder rings most of the time even after the key is removed.

Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM

This seems to be a pretty common Saturn thing. I just posted on another thread that this happened to my car. Over several weeks my ignition got harder and harder to start, finally locking totally up. My dad replaced the Lock Cylinder, but he had to drill the old one out to get the new one in. Once it is locked totally, you can't get to the button to push to pop it out. Much easier to replace it before it locks up totally like mine did.

Quick Reply: Ignition not moving