Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Idel at 500 RPM’s

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 03:48 PM

I have the 92 SL2, and it idles way under 500 rpms, almost 300. It also stalls if I sit at a light too long. I''ve been driving this car for 3 years, and recently put $750 into a new caliper, rear tires and breaks, passenger side wheel bearing, and rear rotors. I also got an oil change for the first time not doing it myself, and then all this starts to happen. I don''t want to blame it all on the shop, but it''s just too much of a coincidence. I believe the trany is struggling a lot as well, as the check engine light comes on for about 2 mins after the car buckles and has trouble staying in gear.

It has 138k on it, going on 39. Ran fine for 3 years, up until 2 weeks ago, not even a week after the service I had to get it mobile again.

Edited by: preythesun

Old 02-18-2009, 04:43 PM
Banned

When was the last time you ran a bottle/can of throttle body cleaner through your engine ??

Old 02-18-2009, 06:41 PM

Man, I can''t even tell you. I''ve had the car three years myself, and I know my uncle took good care of it, but I just don''t know that. I was gonna put some Gumout in real soon, then fill the gas tank up. Would that do anything?

Thanks for the help, archer

Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM

I also wanted to ask if it''s better to park the car in neutral and start it in neutral. I started in neutral about 10 minutes ago, and it idelled at 1k rpm perfectly.

Old 02-18-2009, 09:39 PM
Banned

Might work, but I prefer the spray canstuff I can spray into the throat directly ... helps get rid of gunk/trash in areas where the fuel never goes ... areas where dirt can cause sticking and lousy performance

Old 02-18-2009, 11:39 PM

I see. Can I do this myself by getting a mat and lying under the car to find the throttle? Also, how much does these cans run?

Thanks again

Old 02-19-2009, 07:03 AM
Banned

Surprise! You can do this from the top side. No crawling around on the ground - unless you drop a hanger clamp or something from the air intake ductwork. Course, I am 6ft tall, so you might need a small step stool to let you reach all the way into the engine area.

Honest answer on the price is ... I dunno. Normally, I just go to the service bay support shelves and grab one ... total guess would be around $9 usd ...

Old 02-19-2009, 05:55 PM

Hah, sounds too good and too easy, but hell, I''ll give it a try. Thanks again for all the help, arch.

Old 02-19-2009, 08:37 PM

I think I found another solution, as well. The guy I brought it to says it the "lock-up converter" on the tranny. If I unplug it, it should make the car not stall and jerk. What do you think, archer?

Thanks again

Old 02-20-2009, 01:16 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by preythesun
I think I found another solution, as well. The guy I brought it to says it the "lock-up converter" on the tranny. If I unplug it, it should make the car not stall and jerk. What do you think ......

Thanks again

Personally, I would not do that. Without the lockup working, you will waste fuel when above 45mph because the engine will be at a higher RPM than necessary ...

Quick Reply: Idel at 500 RPM’s