Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 11:18 PM
Default Help!!!!

alright.. tranny was not cooked ... just a clip broke on shifter bar .... so we got it fixed and replaced slave cyl for clutch.... bad thing is that i have a clutch ... BUT its not really there .... like it goes into the gear but its almost like i have to speed shift it.... any ideas???

P.S. ..1997 saturn SL2 DOHC 5 speed

Old 09-15-2011, 02:45 PM

Did you bleed the slave cylinder? Sounds like a problem I had on a previous car, my 89 ford probe. had to speed shift til I bled the slave, then shifted beautifully. It's easy enough, quite similar to bleeding the brakes, and uses the same fluid. Make sure if you use the "pop it off" method that the slave NEVER goes higher than the master cylinder. There's a write-up around here somewhere about both procedures... If that fails, check for a faulty slave/fork/throw out and the usual clutch issues before tearing everything down. Probably something simple. Keep us updated on the problem.

Old 09-15-2011, 03:56 PM

If it's an OEM slave you can not bleed it. It comes ready to install. If it's an after market unit I have no idea what they have done. It's rare I buy any hard parts that are not OEM. Over the years I've had poor results buying parts from BillsAutoParts&BaitShop.

Last edited by sw2cam; 09-15-2011 at 04:00 PM.
Old 09-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Strange. I guess mine's aftermarket then. Lols. It has a bleeder valve on it. I'll try to get a pic of that and throw it on my profile. Might be why I have trouble shifting sometimes. Need to find that writeup on how to adjust the linkage too. Anywho, Winkler, you ever find the source of your problem?

Old 09-16-2011, 10:36 AM

yes its an OEM part ... it doesnt have a bleeder blu it said to tip it a certain way and keep pushing on the pin till no more bubbles come out ... we did that ... i have alot more to it now but still missing some and have to pump it up before i go anywhere