Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Find left rear 1/4 panel and any back support

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-2022, 06:22 PM
Default Find left rear 1/4 panel and any back support

Hello, 1991 SL2, 55,000 miles here. In California, so few peoplle know Saturns or fix them, etc.

My landlady bashed my light and 1/4 panel with her Silverado and lied and wouldn't give me her insurance. Well, now I have it, and fortunately they agreed to fix it, and not total it., after I argued with them. A lot.

The body shop where I wanted to take it in said he could see internal damage to a support?? and is now concerned that once I find the parts for him (and I haven't been able to find the left rear 1/4 panel - all leads appreciated!!!!) he thinks they won't fit properly.

I think he's wrong - it's just the way the Auozone guy screwed in the lamp again when he put a lightbulb in so I could drive it safely. But is there some kind of support or something that looks wrong in the whole? What is it called, if I need to look for that too? First photo is initial accident, then what it looks like behind the hole, then the gap when Autozone guy reattached the lamp (which I think is just his mistake - but not sure.)

Old 08-22-2022, 08:03 PM
Super Moderator

91 and 92 we're the experimental debugging years. The designs didn't stabilize for the s cars until 93.

Most of the 91s and 92s didn't live that long, and there were some 91 only design parts that changed mid 91.

https://parts.arniebauer.com/p/satur.../21080823.html

Part number is 21080823. Says first design. No idea how second design is different nor how to tell which fits your vehicle.

Fitment is 91 and 92

​​​​As for that support piece, is it plastic or metal and are there any fastening points on it.?

To be brutally honest, I would not put money into the vehicle.

What's the price of that quarter panel is more than the vehicle is worth. You could strip it on eBay or sell as a parts car but $$. I haven't seen a running 1991 Saturn in a decade.

Old 08-22-2022, 08:12 PM
Super Moderator

For the record, I see no misalignment of the quarter panel or the bumper relative to the trunk. I don't know what that part is on the inside but it looks like it may be coming up through the bumper. I'm not sure what you will have to disassemble but it doesn't look like fun. If you can find a beat up quarter panel you might consider cutting the end off of it and having someone do somebody work and epoxy it onto the broken part after making an even seam for both at the edge

Old 08-22-2022, 09:08 PM

I am only seeing 96-00 in a 50 mile radius of where I am. Dont think those years will work.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:17 AM

Thank you, I'll call there!

I want to keep the car for now. I like it. I just don't want a huge hole in it.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:20 AM

Thanks for looking!

Two body shops said they couldn't epoxy it since it's on a curve.. I see what you mean, if it's cut off. It seems much easier just to find a part as is - hopefully.

Old 08-23-2022, 02:22 AM

Thanks! There was one just a few miles away...sold 2 weeks before I called him.

I'm looking on ebay - something will come up. Or maybe I can find someone who will ship it with insurance.

Old 08-23-2022, 06:32 AM
Super Moderator

Shipping on something of that odd shape is cost prohibitive. It'd be cheaper to drive three states than I have someone ship it to you.

And I would cut off part of the existing piece before the curve so that I could epoxy two reasonably flat sections together and reinforce from the back. But that's just me.

Old 08-23-2022, 07:42 AM

I searched all of the pull a part yards within 150 miles of me and NO 1991 models were found. I even looked as far as Nashville. I think derf is on the right track with the epoxy idea. Good luck with it.

Old 09-28-2022, 04:17 PM

I am still looking for the left drivers side rear quarter panel, if anyone has any leads at all!! 1991.

I live in Los Angeles. I know the part is out there, but having a hard time finding someone willing to ship out of state. (Most ebay people won't.) I know shipping is expensive - Yes, I'll pay it.

All leads appreciated!

Quick Reply: Find left rear 1/4 panel and any back support