Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Engine Swap

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2008, 10:46 AM

Ok, heres the deal. This is my first saturn EVER. I would like to put a DOHC in my 1998 SL1. I have all the things to do it in my garage, well at least i hope i do. I would like to know reasonable price for a used engine and everything I''m going to need to pull this off. And do i need to switch to a manual trani. My SL1 is auto. I do not want to do the work to switch it to manual. or get a new car. Anything will be helpfull. PS) i have some 1999 elctronics for the engine. I guess it was a crossover year. anything is much appreciated.
Edited by: sw2cam

Old 12-07-2008, 02:41 PM

good news you can keep it an auto if its the same year as your car i honestly dont know for sure if the bolts are in the same location for manual and automatic i cant see why they wouldnt be if your planning on racing i would stop and see if you can trade for a 5 speed you might get lucky and find someone who wants better gas mileage than the dohcand tired of driving stick auto does sell faster than manual

Old 12-07-2008, 06:44 PM

Originally Posted by qwiksl1
good news you can keep it an auto if its the same year as your car i honestly dont know for sure if the bolts are in the same location for manual and automatic i cant see why they wouldnt be if your planning on racing i would stop and see if you can trade for a 5 speed you might get lucky and find someone who wants better gas mileage than the dohc and tired of driving stick auto does sell faster than manual
You cant keep the automatic transmission when switching from a SOHC to a DOHC. The DOHC PCM that will be needed to control the DOHC engine will not be able to control the automatic transmission for a SOHC equipped car correctly. Gear ratios are different between the MP2 (tranny from SOHC S-Series) and MP3 (tranny from DOHC S-Series).