Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Electrical issue with windows and rear defrost

Old 10-29-2018, 12:30 PM
Default Electrical issue with windows and rear defrost

I have a 96 Saturn sl2. I recently replaced the stereo which works fine but for some reason now my power windows don't work and my rear defrost don't work. No fuses are blown and the relays ate are still good. For some reason the service light is on now too. I cannot figure out why this happened. I used a wireing harness for the stereo and didn't have to cut any wires. I thought maybe it was the stereo so I put the old stereo back in. Still the same thing. Please help

Old 10-29-2018, 04:45 PM

Where did you get the wiring harness? Maybe that's part of the problem. As for the fuses, where is the fuse box you're looking at? You do know there are fuses under the hood and in fuse box located next to the console on the passenger side of the interior, right?

Old 10-29-2018, 04:53 PM

I bought the harness online. After I plugged the old radio back in I discovered thecproblth was still there. Yes I know there is 2 fuse boxes I checked every single fuse. I'm wondering if it has anything to do with the sercise light on.

Old 10-29-2018, 07:42 PM
Super Moderator

Clear the codes to get back to square one. Let us know what works when you get that done.

Old 10-30-2018, 06:22 AM
Super Moderator

Is it the service wrench light or the service engine soon light?

Old 11-12-2018, 05:35 PM

Its the service wrench light that's on not the service engine light

Old 11-13-2018, 10:15 AM
Super Moderator

Ign3 underhood feeds power to both the window relay and motors and the rear defogger relay after passing through the ignition. For the window relay, there is also a 7.5 A ign3 fuse.

For the defogger, there is a 15A HvAC fuse between ign 3 and both the light on the defogger button and the defogger relay. If the light on the switch doesn't come on, neither will the defogger

Ign4 underhood feeds power to the radio.

The other side of the window relay sources power through the Window fuse underhood.

The other side of the defogger is powered through the 25A RR DFG fuse which is on the side of the relay that supplies current to the rear defogger element.

So I would recheck Ign3, window, HVAC, rrdefog, and the 7.5 A ign 3 fuse after they are pulled from the fuse box.

Not sure how Ign3 would blow unless there was a short to gound from that feed before the 7.5 ign3 fuse.

Old 11-20-2018, 09:55 AM
Super Moderator

Any progress to report?

Old 11-20-2018, 11:57 AM

No not yet. I haven't had time to look at it. It's cold and snowy so no need for wondowi at the moment. Haha a rear defroster would be nice. I do plan on looking at exactly what you said tho. I appreciate your response!!

Old 11-25-2018, 06:49 PM

So I finally found time to check those fuses you mentioned. Every fuse on the entire car is good. I gave no idea where to look next. Bad ground somewhere?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Electrical issue with windows and rear defrost