Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Coolant Leak - Is it the intake manifold?

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 01:26 PM

I have a coolant leak in my 2002 Saturn SL2 and it looks to be pretty significant (having to add coolant once or twice a day depending on how much I drive). The radiator and hoses are fine and recently replaced. The leak is coming from the back of the engine but its hard to find the leak due to it dripping onto the frame and other items so its hard to see where its origin is. How can I 100% verify that it is the intake manifold gasket as I my local shop will do the gasket replacement for $280 (but charge more if a pressure test needs to be done) so I want to be sure and save a few bucks.

I''''m checking my oil constantly and haven''''t found any coolant in it or seeing the viscosity change.

Thanks in advance,

Edited by: s1dest3pnate

Old 11-11-2008, 11:55 PM

Any ideas?

Old 11-13-2008, 01:03 AM

Anyone alive? I''d really appreciate some input. I''ve never pressurized the system so what would I need to do that and how do I do it? Or any other ideas please?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:23 AM
Banned

First thing I would do, is to invest a few dollars in a good flashlight and a mirror on an extendable stick. Being able to lay eyes on the sight of the leak is ten times better than trying to guess the location

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 PM

Its most likely your intake manifold gasket. There is a TSB out about this. The OE gasket could have crease upon installation at the factory. There is an updated design. It leaks between the coolant passage way between the manifold and head and cylinder #4.

Its a fairly easy fix. Unbolting the upper engine/tranny mounts and pulling the engine forward with straps and holding it there eases the repair and allows more access.Edited by: Low Saturn

Old 11-13-2008, 06:21 PM

Why is there coolant running by the intake manifold anyway? Shouldn''t this area normally be dry?

Old 11-13-2008, 07:35 PM

There passages throughout the intake manifold that coolant runs through. I guess its to keep it warm when the engine is sucking in cold air. It has something to do with emissions. Kinda useless the majority of the time for most people.

Old 11-13-2008, 08:58 PM

Oh OK makes sense. I believe this will be my last question: Is the intake manifold directly behind the motor under the throttle body? Its towards the top of the engine on the back right by the throttle body correct?

Old 11-13-2008, 10:03 PM

Its the black plastic tubular structure bolted to the head. The throttle body is bolted to it.

Its looks like this:

I wouldnt attempt this without some sort of repair documentation. Its not difficult, but you do need a torque wrench and some knowledge of the parts you''re working with.

Old 11-13-2008, 11:56 PM

K cool. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Coolant Leak - Is it the intake manifold?