Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Cam position sensor

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2006, 02:53 PM

Hey guys! I have1998 Saturn SL2. I have a plague that needs fixing. I have a Cam position sensor code that comes up on my computer scan. The dilemma is that NY state started a new thing that if you have codes you cannot get inspected. The other dilemma is the Saturn dealership says the SL's have no Cam position sensor. So, my question is what the hell do I do? I have a car that is throwing a code for a sensor that is not even there. I have 2 weeks to get this thing inspected and I have no idea what I need to fix to get it to pass inspection. Thanks in advance for any help.

Old 04-17-2006, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Gen,

In my experience the cam position sensor codes have shown up when there is an ignition/misfire issue. I have seen situations where the cam code will set (which seems to ward off the misfire code), as well as situations where both a misfire code and the cam codes will set (the misfire code sets first, then the cam codes).

Anyways, I believe this is an ignition issue -- you may have a spark plug wire going bad or significant corrosion on the coil terminals or plug wire connectors.

I recommend (in the order listed)

A) Clean the corrosion off of all 4 coil terminals using a very fine emory cloth. Apply dielectric grease to the terminals to ensure good electrical connection.
B) Change plugs. New set of Saturn STOCK spark plugs. You may have an oil burning problem which is fouling one or more of the plugs.
C) Change plug wires. New Saturn STOCK spark plug wires -- especially if the ones on the car are still the originals (or are aftermarket). Again, dielectric grease on all the connectors to ensure good electrical connection.

THEN get the code cleared.

THEN go for a minimum 25 mile drive (unless the SES light comes on sooner).

Note that you need to drive a minimum of about 25 miles (1 drive cycle) after a code is cleared from the PCM in order for all sensor systems to reach a "ready" status (meaning they have collected enough data to determine whether they are functioning properly). If you try to go to the inspection station before the drive cycle is complete, too many of the sensor systems may still read "not ready" and you will likely still fail inspection even though the SES is not on.

Keeps people from clearing codes right before pulling into the inspection bay and sneaking failing cars past the test.....

Hope this helps.

Keep us posted!

Derf