Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

A/C Testing

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Default A/C Testing

Hello all, I recently purchased a 92' SL2 in great condition. Only downside is the AC does not work. I do not hear the compressor kick on when I hit the AC switch. I've seen people mention testing the clutch and compressor in other threads, but I'm not sure how to do that myself. Any tips? Thanks.

Old 04-10-2013, 03:08 PM
Banned

Well - there's a couple of things that would stop the A/C from working -- one is a bad fuse, the other is no freon in the system. Use an ohmmeter to check your fuses, and find someone with a set of gauges to get the pressure readings of the A/C lines. That information will give some direction of what to do / where to go next ...

Old 04-10-2013, 06:26 PM

On the low pressure or "suction side" of your system under the hood. You will see a small pressure switch in the suction line. Normally they are close the the suction accumulator (silver canister in suction line from compressor) This switch will have two wires in a connector that plug in to it. Unplug the connector and use a jumper wire to make a connection in the connector. If the compressor engages you are either low or out of refrigerant. If it does not come engage, you have other issues. This method is to test the system only! Do not run it with the jumper in place for more than 10 seconds or so.

Old 04-11-2013, 10:45 AM

C6 is correct in what he is saying. As far as it goes.
There is an assumption that the pressure switch in on a line and not on the compressor which is where I have found them too.
My point simply is this.
Buy a manual for your car, cost about $30.00 or so and it may have to be ordered. A Chiltons or what ever, found in the help section of your auto parts store. That $30.00 spent will tell you not only where the components are located on YOUR car but there is also a general trouble shooting section to help guide you through the "I'm not sure how to do it my self" Phase. Because keep in mind! One screw up can pretty much turn your car and it's components into toast.

Old 04-12-2013, 07:13 AM

Ok, I'll test out the compressor to see if it kicks on this weekend. Don't worry uncljohn a haynes manual was my first purchase after picking the car up, but I'll look into grabbing a chiltons as well. I'm new to saturn, but not new to the world of car repair. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-12-2013, 07:25 AM
Banned

HALLELUAH !!

Someone is proactive enough to search out the documentation for his car as the first step!

Oifish, you are a breath of fresh air --- thank you

Old 04-13-2013, 08:18 PM

Originally Posted by oifish
Ok, I'll test out the compressor to see if it kicks on this weekend. Don't worry uncljohn a haynes manual was my first purchase after picking the car up, but I'll look into grabbing a chiltons as well. I'm new to saturn, but not new to the world of car repair. Thanks for the advice!
Sarcasm besides, it is refreshing when it is discovered someone actually bought a manual. Haynes, Mitchel, Chiltons and others are all pretty much the same it seems. I am not sure why maybe there is a reason or maybe it is my imagination. Personally I miss MOTORS which was my favorite but something caused it to disappear. I do though have a fair collection. I was looking up 1951 Nash Rambler steering this morning.
I saw one at the Help section in O'Reillys today that I have not seen before, an OBDII guide. Some how I think that is going to be a good one to have on hand. Time to save the 26 bucks. I have Haynes for my Saturn and I have found it to be invaluable. Nothing is as good as a shop manual but when you don't have one, those help manuals are worth their weight in gold.
I was working on a Ford Focus and I never would have gotten that thing apart with out one.
I hated working on that thing. It is really rare when I dislike something that much. The last car I hated working on that much was any rear engine Volkswagon.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:34 AM
Default ac

Well that should be any ones first buy for a new car or used dont matter, but my book is not covering my issue, my a/c is comming on then off and on so forth, about 10 sec intervals(cold air blows when its going) but today I started the car to see if my fan for the radiator was going with ac off and it did, but a valve or some thing started to spray freon out then quickly shut it off, Im being told it could be a relay or a plug in the system or even the coolant temp sensor. its gonna be summer time here in a bit and its getting hotttt already, could use some serious input but in mean time im gonna stop by a machanic that a freind recomended(well see how this goes)and see what his opinion is tommarow.

Old 05-07-2013, 07:52 AM

Symptoms for the A/C on an S series Saturn are controlled a couple of ways. One of which is the FAN on the car is also operated when the A/C is turned on.
So a factor on trying to determine if the computer (which pretty much controls almost everything on that car) is controlling thing correctly is to see if the Fan is working correctly.
IF the A/C is asked to turn on than the fan should also be on. If the A/C is cycling, the fan should not be, it stays on all the time as long as the A/C switch is turned on.
If the A/C is not turned on then the fan runs as needed based on engine temperature.
On a 92, like my 94, there are two temperature sensors on the drivers side end of the cylinder head.
One of them (with 2 wires) tells the computer what the engine temperature is and the computer deals with engine temperature issues, makes sure the engine runs correctly and drives the heat gauge reading. The other (1 wire) turns the fan on an off as a function of engine temperature. Well, through the computer but deals only with the fan, nothing else.
So if the A/C is cycling oddly and the fan is running normally what you describe sounds like an A/C problem and on a 92 model car that is not unusual. It is old. And the freon or R134 or what ever the stuff is that is in there has probably leaked out.
There are over and under pressure switches on the A/C compressor which pretty much says if the pressure is not correct the thing will kick off. Cycle if you will and that has nothing to do with the computer in the car.
And your last post indicates an A/C leak which seems to fit the other symptoms. I'd start by solving the leak and see what happens next.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:47 PM
Banned

UnclJohn is right - Fix the leak, evacuate the system, recharge with coolant, and test it out.

Quick Reply: A/C Testing