Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

A/C problem, brake grinding...

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 09:02 PM

Problem Number One:

Ok I have been having a hell of a lot of trouble with my a/c lately. When I'm driving, its very cold, but when I am sitting still, it doesn't stay cool. I've been reading around so I checked my compressor and it doesn't stay on. It kicks on and off. I'm assuming that the a/c gets cold when I drive because the wind traveling through the car runs through the radiator. I added freon and it did nothing at all. I'm guessing something is wrong with the compressor, any suggestions would be nice.

Problem Number Two:

When I run the a/c on high, it makes a loud rattle. The noise seems to be originating from the inside of the car. My neighbor came out to help me the other day and he said it sounded like I had a loose bearing inside my a/c fan. Any merit to that statement? If so how would I go about fixing that.

If it helps at all, I was recently in a wreck that smashed the radiator up pretty bad. I did purchase a new radiator and installed it myself. Not sure if that has any bearing.

Problem Number Three:

My left front brake squeals really bad and the right one makes a bad grinding noise. I am short on funds so I cant afford to take it anywhere to get it fixed. I have done a little research and it sounds like the front left pad is getting low and needs to be replaced. That is straightforward. I'm worried about the front right(grinding). I know something will need to be replaced, ie pads and drums more than likely. If I post pictures does anything think they could help diagnose the problem on the front right?

Just btw, I am 20 years old and I really want to perform the work myself. Partly because I am too cheap to take it anywhere, and somewhat because I need to know my cars. Any help would be much appreciated.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:44 PM

You may want to check my thread on SL2 A/C Blower Intermittentas I chased it around for a while until I replaced the blower motor (1-plug, 3-attaching screws)

As far as the brakes, I'd recommend replacingboth frontrotors and pads and being done with it. Pretty inexpensive and about all you'll need is a 4" C-clamp to compress the calipers and a few common tools. No need to post pictures, the grinding tells it all. Should be able to do it for less than $75 depending on what kind of warranty you want on the parts.

Good luck.Edited by: MINICooperS