Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

A/C condensation leaking into passenger floorboard

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2009, 02:36 PM
Default A/C condensation leaking into passenger floorboard

I notice no condensation leaking outside of the car (96 SL2), after driving for a while with the A/C on, if I make a semi hard left turn, I hear liquid moving around under the dash as if water was touching something hot and it will leak hot water onto the floorboard. I did use an airgun to blow out the condensation hose and the air went through with no problem witch indicates no blockage. Has anybody ran into any problems like this? Thanks in advance for any suggestions

Old 09-04-2009, 08:17 PM

how certain are you that its not a bad heater core? mainly ask cause water sloshing in the dash and hot water on the floor sounds more like a heater core issue but I could be wrong

Old 09-05-2009, 12:31 AM

Well, after taking off all of the panels, blower & things, I found that the evaporator is caked with debris. I used what's called a seesnake, a camera with lights at the end of a snake and a monitor on the other end, to get a visual on everything. There is no way for the condensation to get to the drain tube. The water finds its up and over to where the heater core is. Once the water rises, it then starts to submerge the heater core. That's how the water gets heated. After I've had the A/C on for a while, that's when it fills up. Then when finally full, I make a turn and it then spills onto the floorboard. I ended up puting everything back together so I can drive it. It just seemed like too much to get the evaporator out to clean it. I used the camera and a heater hose attached to my vacuum to clean out as much debris as I could, but I don't think it will work because there is still a lot of junk that has attached itself to the fins and the bottom. Any suggestions out there to clean the evaporator out of everything without pulling it all out? Thanks a million

Old 09-05-2009, 06:31 AM
Super Moderator

Visit your local auto parts store for a can of foaming evaporator cleaner. This should help to get rid of that debris and hopefully clear a path to your drain

Old 09-05-2009, 04:15 PM

It sounds like your heater core i had this problem but my floor was soaking wet underneath me so it could be the same for you or it could be a small leak and evaporating, or it could be something toatally different.

Old 09-06-2009, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Or it could be exactly what he described

Old 09-06-2009, 02:09 AM

You guys are all awesome!!!!!!! This the first time ever that I tried posting stuff on a forum, I am hooked. I hope I can help someone sometime. I bought my 96 SL2 new and it's been absolutely amazing for me. I have 180,000 miles on it and knock on wood, nothing major. As for the suggestion about using the foaming evaporator cleaner, thank you so much. I had no idea such a thing existed, I will get some asap. Also, on the suggestion that it might be the heater core, when I had everything apart, I totally inspected it and found no evidence of leaking anywhere. I drove it all around today with the A/C on with no sign of anything leaking on the inside. I actually drilled a hole in the bottom of the housing for the heater core where the water was accumulating and atttached a drain hose to it. For now, it anything leaks, it will be into a small pan I put on the floorboard. To my surprise, when I got home, there is now condensation going onto the ground instead of in the car. I might have just cleaned the evaporator out enough to allow a path to the drain hose. I will still use the foaming evaporator cleaner to finish off the job correctly. Again, thanks to all who have helped and I hope to be of help to someone too. :-)

Old 09-06-2009, 05:32 PM
Super Moderator

no problem -- always glad to help out a fellow saturn owner in need