Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

air injection pump

Old 10-21-2015, 07:49 PM

Keith, I sure am glad I asked about that! And thank you so much for the info! What is that valve called? I don't know what to look for.

Ron

Old 10-21-2015, 08:06 PM

Another question on that valve; can it be repaired?

Thanks again-

Ron

Old 10-22-2015, 11:08 AM

I'm not sure what that reed valve is called, but I took it all off, checked it out, and found that when power was applied to the switch it didn't make any difference to the vacuum/air flow whether power was on or off at that switch. That would seem to indicate to me that the switch is bad, whatever it's called. Right?

Old 10-23-2015, 06:29 PM

Its been awhile since I had a Saturn, I sold mine last year and gave away all the books, so I am working from memory, which isn't all that good anymore. The switch you reference is attached to the reed valve.

The reed valve is the big silver disk the black rubber hose goes into. I was able to take mine apart and clean it, but it wasn't the problem. When you open it up, IIRC, there was either one or two flat SS springs about a inch wide and 2 or 3" long over a hole or two holes. Pressure from the pump opens the valve, pressure from the exhaust pushes the flat spring (aka "reed") closed to keep the exhaust gasses from getting into the pump.

I don't remember what the vacuum switch was for.

Memory is the second thing to go, can't remember what goes first.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:54 PM

I had to laugh right out loud with that memory thing. Cute. I've been searching and digging all over the internet investigating all this. The switch is called the System-Diverter Valve, part #21210001. The big silver disk is called the Secondary Air Injection Shut-Off Valve and is part #21210000. From what I can find, the switch is what stops the exhaust from going into the big silver thing when it shouldn't and on into the air pump. It appears I need to replace both of those parts right along with the air injection pump. That should make everything run happy happy happy. :-)

Old 09-09-2017, 04:49 PM

Well, here it is, just a little over 2 years since I last posted about the air pump problem, and now I'm back with almost the same identical situation. I put a brand new pump on it 2 years ago. The thing hasn't lasted even 2 years and is giving me fits again. It was posting the PO410 code, but that did clear itself out again and it's run for several days now without that coming on again. However, the thing sounds like an Oreck vacuum cleaner and that is no exaggeration! I cannot believe how much noise that thing makes! I just got done taking it out and taking the end cap off to check the sponge filter in it to see if there was any water in it and it looks brand new yet. And the thing seems to turn fairly decent, but still does not turn like an electric motor should turn. It makes so much noise that anyone walking in front of the car will stop and look at the car, wondering what all that noise is. If you put your hand on it when it's running, it will surprise you so much because of the intensity of the vibration, that for a moment you will think you've been shocked! I also replaced all the parts that work in conjunction with the pump.
I really don't know what to do about it. As much as the things cost brand new there's not much sense in spending that amount again if it's only going to be 2 years before it starts whining like that again. And if you get a used one from eBay, you have no idea how that thing is going to sound. BTW, the new one I put on was an OEM part.
As I said in the first post, you can't get the things apart to repair them. That is an exercise in utter futility.
It's strange to me, anyway, that no one else seems to have this problem. I sure wish I could get that thing apart. And so goes the Saturn air pumps. Not made very well in my opinion.
Ron K.

Old 09-17-2017, 07:33 AM

Where'd you get the replacement, Ron? Did it not come with a warranty? I'd suggest getting in touch with the place that you got it and find out.

Old 09-17-2017, 08:04 PM

I got it from eBay. It did have a warranty on it, but for sure it wasn't 2 years. Think how long the original lasted and this one only lasted 2 years and supposedly was an OEM part. I may still have a copy of the seller. I sent for another one, a used one this time. I figured if the original lasted all these years another used one ought to last for a while. This one has a 60 day warranty on it. I'll jump it to the battery and see how it sounds. If it doesn't sound like an Oreck it should be okay.
I had a '65 Caddy when I lived in Maine. I knew where every junk yard was in Southern Maine that had a Caddy in it. When I sold it I had 10 big boxes of spare parts. I may have to do that with the Saturn; find every junk yard that has a Saturn with an air pump like mine and start a collection of them. ha. If you could get at the thing to lubricate it, that would help a lot!

Old 09-18-2017, 07:35 AM

Well, good luck with it. No way to take them off and lubricate them? Is that what you're saying?

Old 09-22-2017, 02:15 AM
Super Moderator

Why not gently open the failed one and see if you can determine if it has a sealed bearing. even if so you may able to drill a tiny hole into the bearing for lubrication, then plug it w a shard of heater hose/similar. Highly non-optimal but better than a 2 yr replacement cycle.

You'd be surprised.

The 3"' x 3" square fans that go in the desktop computer cases gave no indication they could be lubricated. Once you peeled up the edge of the center sticker, there was a removable rubber plug where you could add 3 n 1. Saved $8 for a new one. They got noisy as the orig lube broke down and ceased to lubricate. If you did something about it soon enough you could easily get another 4-5 yrs out of the thing.

My mom had an oreck for a short time when I was growing up. That is the loudest excuse for a vacuum I've ever experienced. The military should have hardwired the power switches and attached the motor leads to batteries and encircled locations under siege with them in order to mentally and physically torture those inside.

I think that the thing did a half decent job. Probably only because it vibrated the dirt loose. The only other household device I've ever heard that was almost as loud were the early Dirt Devils-- the red ones with power cords. I would use that to vacuum the steps now and then. Even at arm's length, my ears still rang at the end of the flight of stairs.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: air injection pump