Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

after market tensioner takes a different belt?

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-2013, 06:50 PM
Default after market tensioner takes a different belt?

Ive been looking up on youtube and other sites for some how to vids on replacing different pulleys and what not. Im considering doing a pulley overhaul on my engine since im going to have it apart again anyways and most of the pulleys are pretty cheap.

I'm seeing a lot of people saying that if I replace the oem belt tensioner with a new aftermarket one that the pulley diameter will be different and will require a different belt size. Is there any truth to this? And if so what will be the correct belt. I'm getting different numbers depending on where I look. I'd rather get the answer from some people who actual know what they are talking about up here. Thanks!

Old 04-08-2013, 07:42 PM

Dan I use OEM parts just for this reason.

Old 04-09-2013, 08:19 AM

I use aftermarket parts almost exclusively and have replaced the tensioner some time in the past on my 94 SC2 and other cars. They seem to be an item that has a failure rate that is higher than other parts.
Of course you are going to see different part numbers. Different manufacturers and different retail out lets are going to use their own part numbers. That is understandable. Also as parts are exhausted and then re-stocked for various retail out lets the new part might very well have a new number as it came for a different source. But if you take the time to look up things AND specifications are given the odds are all the specifications will be identical If not? The odds are some one made a mistake. That happens too.
I find it not altogether unreasonable to assume using OEM parts became increasingly hard to use the day Saturn closed their door causing the dealers to disappear. This complicated by people trying to buy parts for a car that they have no clue what the name of the part is and almost even less what the name of the car is.
Some times I think a book should be written about people buying parts to fix their car and in reality? If they get near a screw driver they will hurt themselves.
Yes there are aftermarket parts that are designed incorrectly and being aware of them keeps most people from buying the wrong one.
But for my purposes?
I have used aftermarket almost exclusively and have yet to have a problem with something purchased.
A story I can not honestly say about going to a dealer.
I just got a very nice letter from the dealer I bought my Chrysler from saying it might be overdue for some service.
Well yuh, It now has almost 100,000 miles on it and is 6 years old. The services identified?
Seven different flushes.
I bought a car, not a toilet. And rarely does something on a car need flushing. 'Specially not at $50.00 a pop or so to pour a $5.00 can of automotive fixit stuff through it.

Old 04-09-2013, 09:25 AM
Banned

UnclJohn --

I especially appreciate your comment --> "I bought a car, not a toilet"

Do I have your permission to repeat it to a dealership weenie the next time he starts that song?

Old 04-09-2013, 12:06 PM

I put an aftermarket tensioner in recently, and noticed the pulley diameter was larger, I had the same concerns, but the standard belt fit fine. It must retract farther to accommodate pulley size i guess

I put it in about 2k miles ago, had a new alternator and battery light was coming on and flashing under hard acceleration. then it would do it at any steady RPM past 2500. Replaced tensioner and belt and the problem was gone. Killed two starters in the following week, but thats a different story

Last edited by Octavious; 04-09-2013 at 12:10 PM.
Old 04-10-2013, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by OceanArcher
UnclJohn --

I especially appreciate your comment --> "I bought a car, not a toilet"

Do I have your permission to repeat it to a dealership weenie the next time he starts that song?
=============================
I guess I just do not understand dealer logic.
There was a time that too me any way, an automotive dealer represented a viable alternative to other methods of having your car repaired. Not only correctly but affordable.
Now given, that the corner gas station no longer repairs cars but sells food. Food that makes McDonalds look up scale eliminating the primary source of automotive repair I grew up with anyway leaving the Dealer as the only alternative for the most part and frankly automobiles are not built the way they used to be. They are better, longer lasting, routine adjustments are largely gone (the tune up for example) it would seem to me that the dealer would still be offering solid repair facilities or maybe even better ones at still affordable prices but?
Take one car for example, I bought it for a reason and was racking miles up fast and it represented a major investment for me and it hit 30,000 miles quick and I saw there was a 30,000 miles check up/oil change. So I asked about it.
It consisted of an oil change, no grease fittings, there were none on the car and remembering that Ford offered the same thing about the time the Mustang came out and seeing Fords actually parked in the street being rebuilt by there now less than upscale owners as the front ends fell apart I was questionable about them, and a series of checks of this, that and the other thing and a tire rotation. Something I don't use as I buy tires by the pair as they wear out. And some flushes. And then the extra cost mandatory valve adjustment. $300.00 + the valve adjustment so I passed on it and do something I always do my self is I changed to oil and continued to drive the car as I normally did. 11 years and 300,000 miles later I sold the car. 290,000 miles over do for it's first valve adjustment, never did have to replace anything that had no grease fitting, never had a "flush" nor a tire rotation, or any of the other foolishness offered for 300,000 miles. I have cars that are 40 years old that never had a flush. What the hell is wrong with a dealer just fixing what is broke like they used to and offering solid repairs. I bought my Chrysler from just a dealer like that. Supposedly anyway. It's been around for very long time and the owners name is spoken with reverence. And I take my Chrysler there in order to maintain my extended warranty on the transmission and the transmission service is 15% more than having it done at a Tire store. And the last time I was there they were pushing having flushes done. Damn, it is so frustrating.
I think I will buy my next new car from Almost Honest John's used car emporium and screen door repairs.
At least when they rip you off it is expected.

Old 04-15-2013, 04:14 PM

Just make sure if you take that Chrysler anywhere besides the dealership for transmission service that they use ATF+4 fluid in it, Unc. Dexron with an additive kills more Chrysler transmissions than anything.

Old 04-15-2013, 07:08 PM

The logic is .......... I get the correct part that fits correctly and does not need replacement every other year "if" it lasts that long. Now in the case of GM cars I will buy AC/Delco parts from NAPA or other sources. I've bought THOUSANDS of parts over the years, I've been in the car business for 40 years. Hard parts from the likes of Checker, Advance, AutoZone, are not going in my cars unless it's an udder emergancy.

Last edited by RjION; 04-15-2013 at 07:14 PM.
Old 04-15-2013, 09:55 PM

Well thankfully it ended up being the idler pulley and not the tensioner! Under 20 bucks instead of 50 + bucks. I got a new idler pulley and new belt. Swapped out the parts and my noise went away that i was hearing. So I kept my stock tensioner on my car and have avoided the aftermarket tensioner needs different size belt issue ragaurdless of wether its true or not. Thanks for the replies though!

Old 04-16-2013, 07:32 AM

Originally Posted by RjION
The logic is .......... I get the correct part that fits correctly and does not need replacement every other year "if" it lasts that long. Now in the case of GM cars I will buy AC/Delco parts from NAPA or other sources. I've bought THOUSANDS of parts over the years, I've been in the car business for 40 years. Hard parts from the likes of Checker, Advance, AutoZone, are not going in my cars unless it's an udder emergancy.
And while this is an opinion that is both admirable and respected is on the other hand an opinion.

And I have been a back yard mechanic for 55 years. I have owned, repaired and maintained cars that no longer have a dealer or if there was one was not with in a reasonable distance from where I lived. Thus purchasing parts from a dealer has been the exception not the rule.
And at least one example of that was supposed dealer parts purchased for my Saturn came not from Saturn dealer but a Chevrolet dealer. Why? There are no Saturn dealers any longer AND the part came packaged in a Sandwich bag.
This is not representative of a dealer part. At least not based on my experience of purchasing parts.
And again, a reference to a dealers level of service, a product I used to use with both confidence and comfort. I recently received a letter from the local Chrysler dealer (one of many) a dealer that has a reputation of being a cut above the rest.
The letter indicated my Chrysler might be over due for some service and there were no recalls.
The over due service?
Transmission flush
Radiator Flush
Brake Flush
fuel system flush
Engine inspection
and other equally inane ---- service?
Since when did flushes and inspections become a service?
And at dealer prices to get these things done?
Dealers in my opinion no longer offer services. Not at the prices charged and the work offered.
The Saturn DEALER destroyed the cabin interior material on mine by washing it when the sun roof was damaged. The reason I was there. And to get an estimate on repair as it was something I could not do. I was offered an estimate which was reasonable and when I took the car back to have the work done the $350.00 estimate turned into a $3500 estimate of NEEDED service before would be SAFE to drive my car.
And after a less that satisfactory discussion it ended up to be a $750.00 repair AND going back twice to get it functional.
Frankly with service like that?
No wonder the dealership is no longer in business.
But remember, this is my opinion.
Now you have two.
A comment as to the destroyed material. It was scheduled to be replaced anyway, it was already 3/4 dead. It was a stupid unnecessary mistake that caused the final damage. However it was a dealer mistake, something basic that should not have happened.

Quick Reply: after market tensioner takes a different belt?