window.open = SymRealWinOpen;
SymReal = window.;
window. = Sym;
}

SymRealOnLoad = window.onload;
window.onload = SymOnLoad;

//-->
</>
Runs great for a while, then you go to pull out in traffic and it leaves you sitting like a target, will barely move. Sometimes you mash the gas all the way to the floor and it wil start to react. Scary and ureliable,.

I have cleaned the throttle body, and changed plugs, wires and filters, PCV valve, but I'm suspecting maybe the throttle position sensor or maybe the map sensor. I hate to start guessing with expensive parts.

Thought about changing the fuel filter also but was told they are really expensive for this model.

I told the saturn dealer about this condition and they said they have never heard of one doing that. Maybe because they all do get hit and wind up in the "junk yard" or"auto recycling center", (you can charge more with a fancy name)

Any ideas or the wisdom of your experience would be helpful

Old 04-05-2006, 12:28 PM

you can get the fuel filter from napaonline.com for $50.00 so i will try this first

tim

Old 04-06-2006, 02:33 AM

check collant and air temp sensor

Old 04-13-2006, 03:48 AM

You have to do your fuel pump every 10K-20K miles. Some people never chance theirs. If you havent done it, or known how long its been without being chanced, I would do that regardless.

Old 04-13-2006, 09:49 AM
Super Moderator

I think euro meant fuel filter, not pump. And Saturn recommends 60K for the fuel filter interval (I believe). 10-20K is not necessary on these cars....if you're type A, 30K will get you by...

Derf

Old 04-13-2006, 09:11 PM

yeah filter. I do mine every 5th oil change at about 15K miles. Keeps everything running fine.

Old 04-28-2006, 03:37 AM

Hi Sdward and company,

Anyway, sorry to say I’m glad someone else is encountering this darn problem maybe we can figure it out together for our benefit. It has been eating me up too… I think you have the right idea start with the small stuff but I don’t think the plugs are going to have any effect… You see I already did the same and the problem continued. Here’s a list of the things I did so far on my car…

I changed the plugs, air filter, PVC valve, O2 Sensor, EGR, fuel filter and used Premium gas with top grade injector cleaners for a month and the problem continued.
I then took the car to Saturn (I had no check engine light lit by the way) explained the problem and after performing a diagnostics test they said the fuel pump was working fine and the item they recommended to replace was the diaphragm in the Fuel Pressure Regulator a part by the way they no longer stockfor my 92 SL1 so I had to order one through a local Strauss Discount Auto and then take the car and the part back to Saturnwhich they gladly installed at no charge and the tech at Saturn commented on the Throttle body looking a bit beat after the installation.
While driving home I encountered the same problem so sorry to say this still didn’t remedy the problem.

Anyway here’s where I am at now after doing some research on the web and some mechanic documentation I believe this problem to be a Fuel system issue. The problem could frankly be the Throttle Body. Now it looks like the Throttle Body is made up of 2 sections the top half or (fuel meter body) and it contains the Fuel injector and the Fuel Pressure Regulator. The bottom Piece or the Throttle body, and contains the throttle valve, IAC valve, TPS and the vacuum manifold or tubes which supply manifold vacuum to various engine control solenoids.

Since I know my fuel pump and FPR to be working because of Saturn’s testing. I would say I need to address replacing the Fuel injector for the top piece next or replace the whole bottom piece (throttle body) if it includes the IAC and TPS.

Since it seem you cleaned out the throttle body on you car would you know if the IAC valve, and TPS sensor can be individually replaced or are they part of the throttle body assembly and would need to be replaced as a whole unit?

If yes then I would think replacing the bottom half to be the most focused on resolving the problem. It has to be one of these sensors on the throttle body.

What do you think?

-Charlie

Old 04-29-2006, 12:11 AM
Super Moderator

I would recommend checking the TPS with a scan tool that displays real-time diagnostics. This should allow you to determine whether there is a portion of the throttle range where the TPS acts up (possibly a small throttle range where the you're changing the throttle position but the TPS output is not changing.)

IAC, if bad, would probably be acting up at idle.....

Did you change the front 02 or the rear 02?

Again, a realtime scan tool can show you the realtime readings from most of the sensors.

Derf