Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

98 SL2 Revs while breaking

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2008, 09:28 PM

For the last couple of months my 1998 SL2 has been revving between 1000 and 2000 RPMs when I break. When I crank the car, it revs to about 2000 RPM and eventually will settle to the normal RPM when I drive it. After been driven a while, when idled in Park, it sits anywhere between 900 and 1200 RPM, and about 800 RPM if in Drive. The major thing is does though is upon breaking, it revs two or three times and then settles. It's only while I'm breaking. It's fine when I come to a complete stop. The car doesn't jerk, it doesn't make noise, there's no smoke, no lights coming on, no smoke. Nothing to indicate there's a problem beyond the revving. I'm getting really worried and can't take the stress anymore.

Things done on the car since this problem:
Fuel Injection Cleaning
90K Checkup done by the dealership (Car currently has just under 108k)
Transmission rebuild
Timing chain replacement

The previous owner of the car was obsessed with good car care and would take it in on the Mile check ups, oil changes every 3 months on the dot, everything. She took no chances. As soon as it came into my hands, it seems to have just started falling apart. And I know the previous driver history due to it being a friend and I even drove the car for 2 years before finally buying it from her. This car's been great up until I finally paid for it. I try to take care of it as best as I can, but I make a considerable amount less than she does so I can't be as on top of things as she was. But I've taken pretty good care of it in the last year and 3 months despite all the issues.

I've called a few places about the issue. I've been told "It could be a number of things" from various mechanics, and my dealership said they couldn't do anything without a "service engine light" warning. So I'm reaching out to the public to see if anyone else has had this same issue, and if so, can you give me some insight as to what to do. I really liked this car, I want to like it again. I don't want to get so worried every time I get into the car that I can barely drive down the block. Please help!< src="http://www.google-analytics.com/urchin.js" ="text/"></>< ="text/">_uacct = "UA-939292-47";
urchinTracker();
</>

Edited by: orlana

Old 01-03-2008, 08:35 PM

My first guess would be the brake booster. With the car in park and not
moving, slowly step on the brakes and see if the idle jumps at a certain
point in the brake pedal travel. If it does, check several times to see if its at
the same point each time or just during a certain time frame after first
touching the pedal, or only when the pedal is going down.