Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

98 Saturn SL2 AC/Heater Clickingh

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2010, 09:55 PM
Default 98 Saturn SL2 AC/Heater Clickingh

I have a 98 Saturn SL2, and the AC/Heater fan makes a clicking noise when the fan us running. I does not matter if I'm running the AC or Heater. It only comes on when I move the switch to turn the fan on. I removed the fan and tested. With the fan removed, I still got the sound when turning the AC/Heater fan switch on. The ticking is a double tick, and sounds kind of like a blinker. Is there a bad relay or something that could be making the sound? Thanks.

Old 01-12-2010, 06:09 AM
Super Moderator

is there anything stuck in the squirrel cage or up against the motor spindle that might be rubbing? Does it click if you rotate it by hand with the switch off?

Old 01-12-2010, 07:12 AM

Derf, Thanks for the response.

I thought it may be something in the fan (squirrel cage), but I took the entire fan out and disconnected it. Without the fan even in, it makes a clicking sound when I move the handle on the AC/Heater fan speed control to anything other than off. It doesn't matter what speed it is, the ticking is the same. It sounds just like the blinker sounds. click-click click-click click-click and so on.

Old 01-12-2010, 10:05 PM
Super Moderator

so the noise is the same interval independent of rotational speed?

Old 01-13-2010, 10:00 AM

Yes. The the clicking is a the same interval regardless of the speed of the fan, or the speed of the car for that matter.

When I took the fan out, I tried to get my ear as close to the source as I could. It sounds like the noise is somewhere behind the glove box.

By the way, we had our coldest morning in years here about a week ago, and that's when the noise started. It has warmed up since then, so I don't thinks it's related to the cold, but could the cold have triggered the problem?

Thanks again! -chris

Old 01-13-2010, 05:55 PM
Super Moderator

As far as I know, the only blower motor relay is in the instrument panel junction block on the center console between the seats. There are blower motor resistors that shunt the current when you set different speeds on the dash controls, but they just shunt current -- no moving parts there.

Are you using the recirc fan at the same time? What happens with recirc on vs recirc off?

Old 01-14-2010, 12:03 PM

Derf, Thanks again for the help.

The noise is the same regardless if I have the recirculating button on or off. Infact, I can have both the buttons off and it makes the same sound when the fan is turned on.

I recorded the sound, so hopefully this may help. Let me know if you have trouble hearing it.

http://www2.chriscrawford.com/posts/...n_Clicking.mp3

By the way, in the audio I say that I'm moving the microphone under the dashboard. I'm actually moving the mic under the glove box.

Thanks -chris

Last edited by Chris_Crawford; 01-14-2010 at 12:07 PM.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:03 PM
Super Moderator

dude you have a cool accent-- are you from the south?

Pull the cover off the IP junction block on the center console and see if you can feel the blower motor relay ticking (softly) when the fan is running. Maybe this relay is misbehaving and is oscillating the current going to the motor????

Is there any protection circuitry you can see on the blower motor itself where the fan attaches to the wiring.

It definitely does not sound like a bearing noise -- that would likely change with fan rotation speed....

Did you come across the resistor pack in your travels? Maybe it has a protection circuit that is tripping???

Ok -- I really don't know....

Anyone?

Anyone?

Old 01-25-2010, 09:10 AM

Hey Derf,

Thanks again for all the help, and sorry for the delay in responding.

Yes, I'm from the south, Mississippi to be exact. Lived here for 36 years.

So I took your advice and start trying to find the motor relay. I'm not sure if I found it, but I did find what was making the noise, and like you said, I could put my hand on it and feel it ticking. However, it was not in the center console. I found it under/behind the glove box to the right of the blower.

I've taken a picture of the part. Hopefully someone can identify it and recommend a solution.

Thanks again!

Old 01-25-2010, 11:51 AM

So after doing more research, I've come across the possibility that it could be the recirculation door actuator.

Could that be what it is? If so, where could I find another one?

Quick Reply: 98 Saturn SL2 AC/Heater Clickingh