Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

97 sc1

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Default 97 sc1

Just got this 97 sc1 for my daughter, but it tries to start without ever really running. Sometimes it will start but die as soon as you press the gas pedal. It has fuel to the rail. We scanned it and the only code it showed was a PO702. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Old 07-20-2011, 01:20 AM

A P0702 is a transmission electrical error code and is not generally something that would affect the operation of the engine.
http://www.obd-codes.com/trouble_codes/
Having fuel to the rail and having it at the right pressure or something that approaches the right pressure is a whole nother subject. Is there any other information you can give? Has the car ever run if so is this some kind of a new problem?
If you are just starting this trouble shooting it might be a basic problem such as a vacuum leak at the intake manifold leaning it way out or an extremely dirty throttle body which might be able to be cleaned with a spray cleaner. Have you tried using starter fluid to help start the car? If it fires right up and then dies, that could mean the fuel at the rail is not getting by the injectors or a big vacuum leak. Can you measure fuel pressure? Have you checked for spark intensity?
It is a bit hard to guess at with the amount of information given at this time.

Old 07-20-2011, 12:54 PM
Super Moderator

possibly ects forcing it crazy rich ?

Ever change the ects + connector

Old 07-21-2011, 10:23 AM

CPS or ECTS issues would be most likely culprit based on limited symptoms listed.

Old 07-21-2011, 09:50 PM
Super Moderator

i did consider cps but it didn't seem to line up dying when hitting the gas

Old 07-22-2011, 08:17 AM

I know Derf, but these two sensors seem to cause the bulk of those problems and the vagueness of the symptoms makes me question their accuracy.